How Does Collision Affect Car Velocity?

In summary, a car of mass 1348kg moving with a velocity of 26m/s collides with a car of mass 674kg moving with a velocity of 21m/s in the same direction. After the collision, the 674kg car moves with a velocity of 5.25m/s, which does not make sense as it should have a greater velocity. The correct calculation shows that the 1348kg car speeds up to 33.88m/s after the collision, which is not reflected in the problem. This may be a mistake in the problem itself.
tomwheeler87
A car of mass 1348kg moving with a velocity of 26m/s collides with a car os mass 674kg moving with a velocity of 21m/s in the same direction. after they collide the 674kg car moves with a velocity of 5.25m/s

What is the velocity of the 1348kg object?

M1 = 1348kg
M2 = 674kg
V1 = 26ms-1
V2 = 21 ms-1

Ptotalbefore = P1before + P2before
Ptotalbefore = m1before * V1before + m2before * V2before
Ptotalbefore = 1348*26 + 674*21
Ptotalbefore = 49202kgms-1

Ptotalbefore = Ptotalafter
Ptotalbefore = P1after + P2after
49202 – (674*5.25) = P1after
P1after = 45663.6
P1after = m1after * V1after
P1after = V1after
M1after
V1after = 45663.6
V1after = 33.88ms-1

According to my answer car1 speeds up from 26m/s to 33.88m/s after the collision. I am certain that is not right but can't see where i have gone wrong can anyone help me please.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uhmmm, the problem itself does not make much sense.
How come the 674 kg car moves with a velocity of 5.25 m / s after the collision? (5.25 m / s < 21 m / s).
Infact, after the collision, the 674 kg car should have a greater velocity than it had before the collision...
Viet Dao,

Your solution looks right, its the problem that doesn't make sense. When you get rear ended you don't slow down.

Cheers

Cheers people will have words at college tomorrow

Regards
Tom

Related to How Does Collision Affect Car Velocity?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the motion of an object and is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for calculating momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object, while momentum takes into account both the speed and mass of an object.

4. What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kg*m/s, which can also be written as N*s (newton-seconds).

5. How does momentum relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the Law of Conservation of Momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that if no external forces act on a system, the total momentum before and after an event will be the same.

Back