How Does Charge Distribution Affect Electric Fields in Nested Spheres?

In summary, the problem involves a conducting sphere with a radius of 5.5 cm and a charge of -35.5 nC, surrounded by a concentric conducting spherical shell with inner radius 9.5 cm and outer radius 11.5 cm, carrying a charge of -13.0 nC. The task is to determine the electric field at two specified radii, 42.5 cm and 8.5 cm. To solve this, the correct charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface at 42.5 cm needs to be calculated, taking into account the charges on both the sphere and the shell. The conversion from nano-coulombs to coulombs needs to be considered as well.
roam

Homework Statement

A conducting sphere of radius, R = 5.5 cm with an excess charge of Q = -35.5 nC is surrounded by a concentric, conducting, spherical shell of inner radius, Rin = 9.5 cm and outer radius, Rout = 11.5 cm that carries an excess charge of q = -13.0 nC.

[PLAIN]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7821/imagex.gif

Determine the electric field at the following radii for the aforementioned arrangement:

(a) r = 42.5 cm.

(b) r = 8.5 cm.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) In the indicated region r>Rout. Therefore I model the charge distribution as a sphere with charge -Q and the expression for the field in this region would be

[tex]E=-k_e \frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]-(9 \times 10^9) \frac{35.5}{42.5^2}=176885813.1[/tex]

even if I convert r to meters I still get the wrong answer (correct answer: 2420)

(b) Again, I can apply Gauss's law to find the electric field. Since R<r<Rin I think I should use:

[tex]k_e \frac{Q}{r^2}=(9 \times 10^9) \frac{35.5}{8.5^2} = 4422145329[/tex]

The correct answer is 44200 N/C, did I forget to convert something?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface at 42.5 cm? Don't forget that both the sphere and the shell have charge on them. Also, how many coulombs to a nano-coulomb are there?

kuruman said:
What is the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface at 42.5 cm? Don't forget that both the sphere and the shell have charge on them. Also, how many coulombs to a nano-coulomb are there?

Yes, I got all the unit conversions correct but I'm still getting the wrong answer:

[tex]-(9 \times 10^{9})\frac{35.5 \times 10^{-9}}{(0.425)^2}=-1768.8[/tex]

Why is that?

Last edited:
roam said:
Yes, I got all the unit conversions correct but I'm still getting the wrong answer:

[tex]-(9 \times 10^{9})\frac{35.5 \times 10^{-9}}{(0.425)^2}=-1768.8[/tex]

Why is that?
It is because the charge enclosed by a spherical Gaussian surface at 42.5 cm is not -35.5 nC. What is it?

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem. However, it seems that you may have made a few errors in your calculations. Let's go through each part separately to see where the mistakes may have occurred.

(a) In this part, you correctly identified that the charge distribution can be modeled as a single point charge with charge -Q. However, you seem to have made an error in the value of k_e, which is the Coulomb's constant. It should be 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, not 9 x 10^9. So, your final answer should be -2420 N/C, which is the correct answer.

(b) For this part, you correctly identified that the charge distribution can be modeled as a single point charge with charge Q. However, you seem to have made an error in the value of k_e again. It should be 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. Also, remember that for a point charge, the electric field at a distance r is given by E = k_eQ/r^2. So, your final answer should be 44200 N/C, which is the correct answer.

In summary, it seems that the main errors were in the values of k_e, which is a common mistake. Always double check your units and values when working with Coulomb's law. Keep up the good work and continue to practice your problem-solving skills.

Related to How Does Charge Distribution Affect Electric Fields in Nested Spheres?

1. What is the difference between a charged sphere and a charged shell?

A charged sphere refers to a solid, three-dimensional object with a uniform distribution of charge on its surface. A charged shell, on the other hand, refers to a thin, hollow object with charge distributed only on the outer surface.

2. How does the charge on a sphere or shell affect its electric field?

The electric field of a charged sphere is dependent on the distance from the center of the sphere, and decreases as the distance increases. The electric field of a charged shell, on the other hand, is constant regardless of the distance from the center of the shell.

3. Can a charged sphere or shell have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a charged sphere or shell can have a net charge of zero if the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed on its surface, canceling each other out. This is known as a neutral sphere or shell.

4. How does the shape of a charged sphere or shell affect the distribution of its electric field?

The shape of a charged sphere or shell does not affect the distribution of its electric field. As long as the charge is distributed uniformly on the surface, the electric field will be constant at all points outside the sphere or shell.

5. Can a charged sphere or shell have a non-uniform charge distribution?

Yes, a charged sphere or shell can have a non-uniform charge distribution if the charges are not evenly distributed on the surface. This will result in a non-uniform electric field around the sphere or shell.