How Does Changing Force Angle Affect Kinetic Energy Increase in a Sled?

In summary, the sled's kinetic energy would have increased by 18% if the pulling force had pointed 62° above the +x axis.
Parzival
Help! I am a starter physicist and I need hlep on this question stated thus:

Homework Statement

A sled is being pulled across a horizontal patch of snow.
Friction is negligible. The pulling force points in the same direction
as the sled's displacement, which is along the +x axis. As a result, the kinetic energy of the sled increases by 38%. By what percentage would the sled's kinetic energy have increased if this force had pointed 62° above the +x axis?

Homework Equations

W = final KE - initial KE
W = (F cos theta)*displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the work-energy theorem, but i couldn't solve for any of the variables. Then I turned to the second work formula, but still no dice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since Friction is negligible, no work done.

Parzival said:

Homework Statement

A sled is being pulled across a horizontal patch of snow.
Friction is negligible. The pulling force points in the same direction
as the sled's displacement, which is along the +x axis. As a result, the kinetic energy of the sled increases by 38%. By what percentage would the sled's kinetic energy have increased if this force had pointed 62° above the +x axis?

Homework Equations

W = final KE - initial KE
W = (F cos theta)*displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the work-energy theorem, but i couldn't solve for any of the variables. Then I turned to the second work formula, but still no dice.

You have all the necessary formulae. The work is equal to the change of KE. Write it out for both cases. The angles are different, but the displacements same x.
Call the intial kinetic energy KEi. Write the change of KE in terms of KEi. It is 0.38KEi in the first case, and ηKEi in the second case when theta=62°. You need to find the unknown factor η.
Divide the equations with each other: Both KEi and x cancel. Solve for η .

ehild

azizlwl said:
Since Friction is negligible, no work done.

That is not right. The sled is accelerated. The change of kinetic energy needs work.

ehild

Last edited:
The first time I read the problem I did a different way than was suggested.

If the initial force parallel to the ground causes an inc in the Kinetic energy by 38% then a force at an angle of 62 degrees, there is only 46.9% of the original force being applied horizontally.

How I got 46.9% is by F cos(angle)= force in the x direction
Fcos(62) = ""
F 0.469 = "" ""
This is essentially saying that only .469% of the force is in the x direction( the rest in the y-direction).
In the original case(where there is 38% inc) the angle is zero and cos 0= 1 so 100% of the force is in the x direction.
So if 100 of the force = 38% , then 46.9 percent of the force = ?simple ratio 100 = 38
----- ----
46.9 x
Therefore what is x this is 17% so there is only a 17% inc in Kinetic energy when the force is applied at 62 degrees to the ground.

Let me know if you want the algebraic method suggested by the other poster you will still arrive at the same answer, but its longer.

Kugan said:
Therefore what is x this is 17% so there is only a 17% inc in Kinetic energy when the force is applied at 62 degrees to the ground.

Let me know if you want the algebraic method suggested by the other poster you will still arrive at the same answer, but its longer.

Both methods are essentially the same.

ehild

I figured it out by myself, but thank you all.
The ratio of the initial work to the work w/ the 62° angle is

Fs/s(f cos 62°)
= 1/(cos 62°)

Thus, multiply 38% by cos 62° (0.469).
Significant digits yield 0.18, or 18%.

Related to How Does Changing Force Angle Affect Kinetic Energy Increase in a Sled?

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem and how does it relate to HW problems?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object equals the change in its kinetic energy. In HW problems, this means that the work done by all forces acting on an object will result in a change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. How can I apply the Work-Energy Theorem to solve HW problems?

To apply the Work-Energy Theorem, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and calculate the work done by each force. Then, you can use the equation W = ΔKE (work equals change in kinetic energy) to find the final kinetic energy of the object.

3. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be used for all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and even combined motions. As long as there are forces acting on the object, you can apply the theorem to calculate the work done and the resulting change in kinetic energy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Work-Energy Theorem in HW problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object. Make sure to consider all forces, including friction and any external forces, when calculating the work done. Another mistake is mixing up the work done by a force with the work done on the object. Remember that the work done by a force is always equal to the work done on the object.

5. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be used to find the final velocity of an object?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be rearranged to solve for the final velocity of an object. By setting W = ΔKE and using the equation W = Fd (work equals force times distance), you can find the final velocity by solving for v = √(2Fd/m), where m is the mass of the object.