How Does Capacitance Affect Current in an AC Circuit?

In summary, an ac generator with a frequency of 25 Hz and an rms voltage of 15 V is connected to a 32 µF capacitor. Using the formula Irms= Vrms/Xc, the maximum current in the circuit is found to be 106.629 mA. When the voltage across the capacitor is 7.5 V and increasing, the current in the circuit can be found by using the equation V=Vmax*sin(theta-90degrees). The theta value can be found by taking the Vmax (calculated using Vrms and multiplying it by 2^(0.5)) and plugging it into the equation 7.5=Vmax*sin(theta). Then, using this theta value, the current
deenuh20

Homework Statement

An ac generator with a frequency of F=25 Hz and an rms voltage of 15 V is connected to a C=32 µF capacitor. Assume that the generator produces a sinusoidal waveform.

(a) What is the maximum current in the circuit? mA

(b) What is the current in the circuit when the voltage across the capacitor is 7.5 V and increasing?
(c) What is the current in the circuit when the voltage across the capacitor is 7.5 V and decreasing?

Homework Equations

Irms= Vrms*Xc

Irms= [1/(2)^(1/2)]* Imax

The Attempt at a Solution

part (a): already figured it out using Irms= Vrms*Xc and got the answer of 106.629 mA, which is correct.

part (b) and (c): I tried using the Irms= Vrms*Xc equation and plugging in 7.5 Volts as V and solving for I, since I already have Xc which is just 1/(angular freq. * Capacitance)

Physics news on Phys.org
What again is ohms law?

Ohm's Law is V=IR

The equation I was using above (Irms= Vrms*Xc ), is analagous to Ohm's law (well, according to my textbook), just rearranged.

*Edit*

I meant to type Irms= Vrms/Xc, not multiplied in my previous 2 posts.

Ah, okay its [tex]V = I X[/tex]. units look okay now
But what again is X and how might I calculate it?

*edit*
sorry, i see you got it, those formulae disturb me though:biggrin:

Last edited:
I solved the equation!

X is just 1/(2*pi*frequency*capacitance).

To figure the problem out, I used the equation to find the instanteous voltage on a capacitator:

V=Vmax*sin(theta-90degrees).

To find theta, I just found the Vmax by using the Vrms (15V) and multiplying it by 2^(0.5). Then, I plugged in for the equation:

7.5=Vmax*sin(theta) and solved for theta.

Then, I took theta and plugged it into

Current=Current (max) *sin (theta)

Related to How Does Capacitance Affect Current in an AC Circuit?

1. What is an AC generator?

An AC generator, or an alternating current generator, is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field.

2. How does an AC generator work?

An AC generator works by using Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. When the coil of wire rotates within the magnetic field, it creates a changing magnetic flux which induces an alternating current in the wire.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC generators?

The main difference between AC and DC generators is the type of current they produce. AC generators produce alternating current, where the direction of current flow changes periodically, while DC generators produce direct current, where the direction of current flow remains constant.

4. What factors affect the current produced by an AC generator?

The current produced by an AC generator is affected by factors such as the speed of rotation, strength of the magnetic field, number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the circuit. These factors determine the amount of electrical energy that can be generated by the generator.

5. What are the applications of AC generators?

AC generators have a wide range of applications, including powering homes, businesses, and industries, generating electricity for power grids, and providing backup power in emergency situations. They are also used in cars, airplanes, and other vehicles to charge batteries and power electrical systems.