How Does Boyle's Experiment Relate to Kinetic Theory and Viscosity?

R is the gas constant and T is the temperature.In summary, the question asks to show that viscosity is equal to 1/3 times the product of the mean free path, density, and mean speed of particles in a gas. The experiment done by Boyle in 1660, where he attached a pump to remove air from a vessel, showed that the rate of damping did not change with the pump. This can be explained by the fact that viscosity is independent of pressure, as the mean free path is inversely proportional to density. The question then asks for an estimate of the lower limit to the pressure Boyle obtained, assuming his container was 2
bon
Kinetic THeory Question - URGENT!

Homework Statement

Ok so we've been asked to show that viscosity n = 1/3 p <v> lambda where lambda is the mean free path, p density of gas and <v> mean speed of particles in a gas

I've done this part..

Then the question says that in 1660 boyle did an experiment where he attached a pump to remove air from a vessel. it says that he found that there was no change in rate of damping when the pump was going.

This can be explained given the fact that n is independent of pressure, since lambda is inveresly proportional to density..

We're now asked to make a order of magnitude estimate of the lower limit to the pressure which boyle obtained (using reasonable assumptions about apparatus boyle may have used)

We're given that viscosity of air at atmostpheric pressure and at 293K is 18.2 x 10^-6 Ns/m^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that the approximation that viscosity is independent of pressure breaks down when lambda is comparable with the length of the container, call this D.

So assuming boyles container was 2m long, we can assume lambda was around 0.2m for his results to be pressure independent?

But then i don't know where to go..

I guess i can use the value of viscosity they've given, but how do i work out <v>?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Average velocity of gas molecule is related to its kinetic energy.
Kinetic energy is related to temperature of gas.
The density may be found from
[tex]
PV=\frac{m}{\mu}RT

[/tex]

Related to How Does Boyle's Experiment Relate to Kinetic Theory and Viscosity?

1. What is the Kinetic Theory?

The Kinetic Theory is a scientific model that explains the behavior and properties of particles in gases, liquids, and solids. It states that all matter is composed of tiny particles that are constantly moving and colliding with each other.

2. How does the Kinetic Theory relate to temperature and pressure?

According to the Kinetic Theory, the temperature of a substance is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. What is the difference between kinetic energy and temperature?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. They are related, but not the same.

4. How does the Kinetic Theory explain the different states of matter?

The Kinetic Theory states that the particles in a gas have high kinetic energy and are constantly moving, while the particles in a liquid have less kinetic energy and are more closely packed. In a solid, the particles have the lowest kinetic energy and are arranged in a regular pattern.

5. Can the Kinetic Theory be applied to all types of matter?

Yes, the Kinetic Theory can be applied to all types of matter, including gases, liquids, and solids. However, it is most accurate for gases and becomes less accurate for liquids and solids due to the closer proximity and interactions between particles in these states.