How Does Binding Energy Affect Nuclear Fission Reactions?

In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, the fission reaction of 236U92 into 141Ba56 and 3 neutrons and an unknown fragment has Z = 36 and A = 95, making statements 1 and 2 false. The graph shows that a heavy nucleus can become more stable by moving to the left on the binding energy curve, making statement 3 true. The fission products have a lower total mass than the original 236U, making statement 5 true. The statement about the energy released in a single fission reaction compared to alpha decay is unclear, so statement 4 cannot be determined.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

Consider the fission reaction in which 236U92 breaks up into 141Ba56 and 3 neutrons and an unknown fragment. Which of the following statements are true about this fission reaction in particular and nuclear reaction energies in general? You are given a plot of the binding energy (BE) per nucleon to help you.
http://aycu17.webshots.com/image/25736/2004649007142429776_rs.jpg

True False the unknown fission fragment will have Z = 33
True False the unknown fission fragment will have A = 95
True False a heavy nucleus (like uranium) can become more stable via a reaction that moves it back to the left on the BE curve
True False a heavy nucleus (like uranium) releases less energy in a single fission reaction than in one alpha decay
True False the fission products (two fragments plus 3 neutrons) have less total mass than the original 236U

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Z= Atomic Mass so true; must be equal before and after the equation
2. A= Atomic # so true; must be equal before and after the equation
3. Not sure, i thikn its false because of the graph, not sure about this one
4. Also not sure about this, but believe false, because it has alpha decay.
5. The total mass must be equal before and after the reaction

My answers are in bold, and above are my reasons, i can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, any1 know?

I think you have one and two right. I think 3 is True because higher binding energy -> more stability...

Not sure about 4.

But 5 is true... right side has lower mass because energy has been released...

Turns out 1 and 2 are false?? Any1 have any clue why? that makes no sense

Oops... sorry A = 92... 236-141-3... and Z = 36 (92-56)

A is the total number of protons+neutrons.
Z is the total number of protons.

I was mixing up number of protons and neutrons...

So yes, they're false.

Related to How Does Binding Energy Affect Nuclear Fission Reactions?

What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart an atom's nucleus into its individual protons and neutrons. It is the force that holds the nucleus together.

What are the different types of binding energy?

The two main types of binding energy are nuclear binding energy and molecular binding energy. Nuclear binding energy refers to the energy that holds together protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. Molecular binding energy refers to the energy that holds together atoms in a molecule.

What is the equation for calculating binding energy?

The equation for calculating binding energy is E = mc2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation was proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

How does binding energy affect nuclear reactions?

Binding energy plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions. In fusion reactions, where two nuclei combine to form a larger nucleus, the resulting nucleus has a lower binding energy, releasing large amounts of energy. In fission reactions, where a larger nucleus splits into smaller nuclei, the resulting nuclei have higher binding energies, releasing energy as well.

Why is binding energy important in understanding the stability of atoms and molecules?

Binding energy is important in understanding the stability of atoms and molecules because it determines the strength of the bond between particles. Atoms and molecules with higher binding energies are more stable, as it requires more energy to break them apart. This concept is also important in understanding the stability of elements and their isotopes.