How does beta disintegration work?

• B
  • Thread starter adolphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta Work
In summary, beta decay is a process in which a down quark is transformed into an up quark through the weak force. To make this process work, one positive charge is added, which comes from a virtual positron/electron pair. The positron interacts with the down quark, changing it to an up quark, while the electron is released. The reason for the electron's release is not because it is near positively charged quarks, but rather due to the involvement of the W bosons.
adolphysics
In beta desintegration, a down quark becomes an up quark by the weak force. We have to add one positive charge to make it work, and it comes from a virtual positron/electron pair. The positron changes the down quark to up quark and the electron scapes. But why does it scape because it's near positivly charged quarks? And why does that positron react with the down quark and not with the positron? (I'm not very good at this, i hope you understand, probably almost everything that i think is wrong but i want to know why)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a correct description of what is going on. Beta decay is mediated by W bosons and also result in a neutrino.

Related to How does beta disintegration work?

1. What is beta disintegration?

Beta disintegration is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta particle (a high-energy electron) is emitted from the nucleus of an atom, resulting in the transformation of a neutron into a proton.

2. How does beta disintegration occur?

Beta disintegration occurs when an unstable nucleus has too many neutrons in relation to protons, causing it to become more stable by converting a neutron into a proton and releasing a beta particle.

3. What is the difference between beta-minus and beta-plus decay?

Beta-minus decay is when a beta particle (electron) is emitted from the nucleus, while beta-plus decay is when a positron (anti-electron) is emitted. In beta-plus decay, a proton is converted into a neutron, resulting in an overall decrease in the atomic number.

4. How does beta disintegration affect the atomic mass of an element?

Beta disintegration does not change the atomic mass of an element significantly, as the mass of a beta particle is very small compared to the mass of a proton or neutron. However, it can result in a change in the atomic number, which affects the chemical properties of the element.

5. What is the half-life of beta disintegration?

The half-life of beta disintegration varies depending on the specific isotope undergoing decay. Some isotopes have very short half-lives, while others can have half-lives of millions of years.