How Does Bernoulli's Equation Determine Flow and Pressure in a Tank System?

In summary, we use Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation to solve for the discharge rate in cubic meters per second and the gauge pressure at point 2. For the additional question about the amount of liquid escaping in 1 minute, we would need to consider the variation of the liquid level in the tank over time and set up a mass balance using a differential equation.
momogiri
Water flows steadily from an open tank as in the figure below. The elevation of point 1 is 10.0m, and the elevation of points 2 and 3 is 2.00m. The cross-sectional area at point 2 is 0.0480m^2; at point 3 it is 0.0160m^2. The area of the tank is very large compared with the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

yf_Figure_14_41.jpg

Part A is "Assuming that Bernoulli's equation applies, compute the discharge rate in cubic meters per second."
Which I've solved using Bernoulli's principle

so Q_3 = 0.200m^3/s

Part B is "What is the gauge pressure at point 2?"
Now this one I'm stuck with, but here's what I've done:

A_2*v_2 = A_3*v_3
(0.048)v_2 = (0.2)(0.016)

v_2 = 0.0666667m/s

so using Bernoulli's principle..(and cancelling some stuff)

P_2 + 0.5*rho*v_2^2 = P_3 + 0.5*rho*v_3^2
which becomes
P_2 + (0.5)(1000)(0.0666667)^2 = 101300 + (0.5)(1000)(0.2)^2
thus P_2 = 101317.7778

And I figured since gauge pressure meant P_G = P - atm
I subtracted 101317.7778 by 101300
which got me 17.7778 as my gauge pressure...
So what am I doing wrong? I don't seem to be getting the right answer here...

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, we apply Bernoulli and the continuity equation from point 1 to point 3
[tex]A_1 v_1 = A_3 v_3[/tex]
[tex]P_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_1^2 + \rho g h_1 = P_3 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_3^2 + \rho g h_3[/tex]
Since the tank is open, [itex]P_1 = P_3[/itex], so we have
[tex]v_3^2 - v_1^2 = 2g (h_1-h_3)[/tex]
[tex]v_3^2 \left(1 - \left( \frac{A_3}{A_1} \right)^2 \right) = 2g (h_1-h_3)[/tex]
Now, since the area of the tank is very large compared to the area of the jet, [itex]1 - \left( \frac{A_3}{A_1} \right)^2 \approx 1[/itex], then
[tex]v_3 = \sqrt{2g (h_1-h_3)} = \sqrt{2 \left( 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} \right) (10 \ m - 2 \ m)} = 12.52 \ \frac{m}{s}[/tex]
So the flow rate is
[tex]Q = (0.016 \ m^2) \left(12.52 \ \frac{m}{s} \right) = 0.2 \ \frac{m^3}{s}[/tex]

For part B, we apply Bernoulli and the continuity equation from point 2 to point 3
[tex]A_2 v_2 = A_3 v_3[/tex]
[tex]P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_2^2 + \rho g h_2 = P_3 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_3^2 + \rho g h_3[/tex]
Points 2 and 3 have the same elevation, so we have
[tex]P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_2^2 = P_3 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_3^2[/tex]
We can calculate [itex]v_2[/itex] with the continuity equation
[tex]v_2 = \left( \frac{0.016 \ m^2}{0.048 \ m^2} \right) \left( 12.52 \ \frac{m}{s} \right) = 4.17 \ \frac{m}{s}[/tex]
Now we calculate the pressure at point 2
[tex]P_2 = P_3 + \frac{1}{2} \rho (v_3^2 - v_2^2) = 101325 \ Pa + \frac{1}{2} \left(1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} \right) \left( \left(12.52 \ \frac{m}{s} \right)^2 - \left(4.17 \ \frac{m}{s} \right)^2 \right) = 171006 \ Pa[/tex]
Finally, we calculate the gauge pressure
[tex]p_2 = P_2 - p_{atm} = 171006 \ Pa - 101325 \ Pa = 70 \ kPa[/tex]

what if there was a part of the question that says
(b)How much liquid will escape in 1 minute?

victor oluvic said:
what if there was a part of the question that says
(b)How much liquid will escape in 1 minute?
The correct way of doing it would be to take into account the variation of the liquid level inside the tank with respect to time.

Do you know how to set up the mass balance for the tank in terms of a differential equation?

Related to How Does Bernoulli's Equation Determine Flow and Pressure in a Tank System?

What is Fluid Dynamics?

Fluid Dynamics is the study of how fluids (such as liquids and gases) behave when they are in motion. It involves understanding the fundamental principles and equations that govern the movement of fluids and how they interact with their surroundings.

What is the purpose of a final in Fluid Dynamics?

The purpose of a final in Fluid Dynamics is to assess the knowledge and understanding of students in the subject. It typically covers the main concepts and applications of fluid dynamics, and tests the ability to solve problems using the principles and equations learned throughout the course.

What are some practical applications of Fluid Dynamics?

Fluid Dynamics has a wide range of practical applications, including in engineering (e.g. designing airplanes and cars), meteorology (e.g. understanding weather patterns), and oceanography (e.g. studying ocean currents). It also has applications in areas such as medicine, environmental science, and even sports (e.g. designing swimsuits for competitive swimming).

What are some key equations in Fluid Dynamics?

Some key equations in Fluid Dynamics include the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in motion; the Continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid remains constant in a closed system; and the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a viscous fluid and are used to solve many fluid flow problems.

How does Fluid Dynamics relate to other fields of science?

Fluid Dynamics is a multidisciplinary field that intersects with many other areas of science and engineering. It has close ties with thermodynamics, which deals with the transfer of energy in fluids, and with mechanics, which studies the motion of objects. It also has applications in fields such as acoustics, materials science, and chemical engineering.