How Does Back EMF and Induced Current Change in a DC Motor's Rotation Cycle?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a simplified diagram for the first phase of rotation in a single-coil DC motor shows that as the armature rotates towards the permanent magnet, the rate of change of flux in the coil increases, causing an induced current in the opposite direction of the DC current. This is due to the opposition of the induced current to the change in flux.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

Describe with the aid of diagrams how the back emf and induced current vary in a single-coil DC motor over one full rotation of the armature.

Give particular attention to the rate of change of flux in the coil and to the direction(s) of the DC and induced current during each quarter cycle.

Homework Equations

No math solution required

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having a great deal of trouble in trying to fit all the elements of this question into a diagram - can someone please assist me with a simplified diagram re the first phase of the rotation - I can do the rest. The one I have is just a mess.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would be happy to assist you with creating a simplified diagram for the first phase of rotation in a single-coil DC motor. Please see the attached diagram for reference.

In the first phase of rotation, the armature of the motor is in the vertical position, with the north pole of the permanent magnet facing towards it. The armature is connected to a DC power source, which causes a current to flow through the coil in a counter-clockwise direction, as shown by the red arrows.

As the armature begins to rotate, the rate of change of flux in the coil increases. This is because the armature is moving towards the permanent magnet, causing the magnetic field to become stronger. This increase in flux induces a back emf in the coil, which is represented by the blue arrow in the opposite direction of the current.

The direction of the induced current is shown by the green arrows, which are pointing in the opposite direction of the DC current. This is because the induced current is always in opposition to the change in flux.

I hope this diagram helps to clarify the first phase of rotation in a single-coil DC motor. Let me know if you have any further questions or need assistance with the remaining phases of rotation.

Related to How Does Back EMF and Induced Current Change in a DC Motor's Rotation Cycle?

1. What is Back EMF?

Back EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is generated in a coil or conductor when there is a change in the current flowing through it. This voltage acts in opposition to the change in current, and is typically caused by a magnetic field that is generated by the coil or conductor.

2. How is Back EMF related to induced current?

Back EMF and induced current are closely related, as the back EMF generated in a coil or conductor can induce a current in a nearby conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers.

3. What factors affect the strength of Back EMF and induced current?

The strength of Back EMF and induced current is affected by a few key factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the current, and the number of turns in the coil or conductor. Additionally, the material and size of the conductor can also impact the strength of the induced current.

4. How is Back EMF and induced current used in practical applications?

Back EMF and induced current have many practical applications in various industries. For example, generators and transformers use electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Induction motors also use Back EMF to control the speed and torque of the motor.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of Back EMF and induced current?

One potential drawback of Back EMF and induced current is that it can cause interference in electronic devices. This is known as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and can disrupt the proper functioning of sensitive equipment. Additionally, in some cases, Back EMF can cause damage to electronic components if not properly controlled.