How Does Angular Velocity Change After Inelastic Collision?

In summary: So as the bar starts to rotate, the ball at the top exerts a force on m2. That force produces a torque on the system, causing angular momentum to be conserved.In summary, the problem involves a totally inelastic collision between two objects, with one object getting stuck to the other. The goal is to find the angular velocity of the system in terms of the initial velocity of the first object. By using the equation for angular velocity and considering the conservation of angular momentum, it can be determined that the angular velocity is equal to half of the initial linear velocity of the first object. Additional information and clarification may be needed to fully solve the problem.
Jalo

Homework Statement

A mass m1 with speed v1i colides with a mass m2 of length 1m, initially at rest, and gets stuck with it.
(a) Express the angular velocity in functon of v1i. (m=m1=m2)

122m0z6.jpg

Homework Equations

w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the collision is totally inelastic I can say
m1*vi1=(m1+m2)vf
Since all masses are equal I can say
vi1=2vf⇔vf=v1i/2
Since w=v/r
w=vf/r⇔w=0.5*v1i/0.5⇔w=v1i

This is wrong for some reason... Can anyone lead me in the correct way?

Thanks.
D.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the length of the bar is 1, then the radius of a circle that the bar makes as it rotates 360 degrees means r=1. Thus w= 0.5V1i/1 = V1i/2.

I don't quite understand the diagram. What's that ball like thing on top of m2? Is m2 fixed at some point?

Doc Al said:
I don't quite understand the diagram. What's that ball like thing on top of m2? Is m2 fixed at some point?

Doc Al has a great point. More explanation is needed. I just assumed the ball at the top of the bar was an axis of rotation, but I could be wrong.

It doesn't say nothing about the ball, so I'm pretty sure it's the axis of rotation

Jalo said:
It doesn't say nothing about the ball, so I'm pretty sure it's the axis of rotation
Assuming that m2 is constrained to rotate about that axis, you cannot apply conservation of linear momentum. (The axis will exert forces on m2.)

But what other quantity is conserved?

Angular momentum?

Jalo said:
Angular momentum?
Right!

Related to How Does Angular Velocity Change After Inelastic Collision?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the speed of rotation, while linear velocity refers to the speed of movement in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen reference direction. A positive angular velocity indicates rotation in the same direction as the reference direction.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular position (in radians) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What is the unit of measurement for angular velocity?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be measured in degrees per second (°/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).