How Does an Object's Weight Change from Earth to Moon?

• Thread starter XylophoneDealer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the question asks for the description of how the weight of an object changes as it moves from the surface of the Earth to the surface of the moon, and the points at which the resultant gravitational force and acceleration on the object are zero. Using the law of gravitation and manipulating relevant equations, the formula GM1m / x^2 = GM2m / y^2 was derived, with x+y = total distance between Earth and Moon. Solving for the ratio of x/y allows for the determination of point P, where the resultant gravitational force is zero.
XylophoneDealer
Can anyone help me with this question?

Homework Statement

[/B]
"Describe how the weight of an object changes as it moves from the surface of the Earth to the surface of the moon. At what point between them is the resultant gravitational force on an object zero? Where is its acceleration zero?"

Homework Equations

(distance between Earth and moon = 3.8e8 m
Mass of Earth = 81 x mass of moon
Mass of Earth = 6e24 kg
Radius of Earth = 6.4e6 m
Gravity on Earth's surface = 9.8 m/s
Universal gravitational constant = 6.7e-11 N m^2 kg^-2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You need to show your work before we can help.

Also I moved your post to the proper forum and edited it adding the homework template.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

You need to show your work before we can help.

Also I moved your post to the proper forum and edited it adding the homework template.

Thank you, but I don't understand - what do you mean by "you need to show your work"? Apologies!

Last edited:
XylophoneDealer said:
Thank you, but I don't understand - what do you mean by "you need to show your work"? Apologies!

It means that the 3rd section of the HH Template is for you to start working on the problem. Use the relevant equations and write out the equation for the pull of the two gravity forces on the object as a function of distance along the path from the Earth to the Moon.

berkeman said:
It means that the 3rd section of the HH Template is for you to start working on the problem. Use the relevant equations and write out the equation for the pull of the two gravity forces on the object as a function of distance along the path from the Earth to the Moon.
Ah, sorry. I just read the Terms of Use.

Well, the only thing I can seem to be able to do is to use the formula:

GM1m / x^2 = GM2m / y^2
Where M1 is the mass of the earth, M2 is the mass of the moon.

The only way I got that was from manipulating other formulae, and by looking at the law of gravitation.

I named the unknown point (the point at which the resultant gravitational force is zero) point P, and the distances between P and the earth/P and the moon distances x and y, respectively. I tried to use algebra in solving it but I'm at a loss. I'm not very experienced on the topic, sorry to seem stupid! It's just bugging me so much that I don't know where to go.

XylophoneDealer said:
Ah, sorry. I just read the Terms of Use.

Well, the only thing I can seem to be able to do is to use the formula:

GM1m / x^2 = GM2m / y^2
Where M1 is the mass of the earth, M2 is the mass of the moon.

The only way I got that was from manipulating other formulae, and by looking at the law of gravitation.

I named the unknown point (the point at which the resultant gravitational force is zero) point P, and the distances between P and the earth/P and the moon distances x and y, respectively. I tried to use algebra in solving it but I'm at a loss. I'm not very experienced on the topic, sorry to seem stupid! It's just bugging me so much that I don't know where to go.

It looks like you've set it up right, with x+y = total distance between Earth and Moon, right? Can you maybe solve for the ratio of x/y? Knowing that ratio and the total distance, you could solve for the point P...

berkeman said:
It looks like you've set it up right, with x+y = total distance between Earth and Moon, right? Can you maybe solve for the ratio of x/y? Knowing that ratio and the total distance, you could solve for the point P...
Ah - that would help immensely. I'll try that now. Thank you!

Related to How Does an Object's Weight Change from Earth to Moon?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the more curvature it creates, and the stronger the gravitational force it exerts.

3. Why do objects fall towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth because of its immense mass. The Earth's gravity pulls objects with mass towards its center, causing them to accelerate towards the ground.

4. Does gravity exist in space?

Yes, gravity exists in space. In fact, it is the force that keeps celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, in their orbits. However, the strength of gravity decreases as you move further away from massive objects.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, we do not have the technology or understanding to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying gravity in hopes of one day being able to harness its power.