How Does an Elevator's Acceleration Change Over Time?

In summary, a student needs help with a calculus-based physics problem involving finding the position of an elevator based on its acceleration function. They have integrated the function twice and plotted it on Maple, but are unsure if it is correct. They also have questions about the graph, such as why it shows the elevator moving away from the origin at an exponential rate. The expert suggests not plotting for negative time values and explains the graph for positive time values, noting that the elevator starts at a distance of 14 units from the origin and then moves towards it before moving away again. The expert also clarifies that the y-axis represents the floor number.
Prathep
I need help getting started with this problem. Thanks.

Homework Statement

The acceleration of an elevator changes at a rate give by the function

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2739/mathzy2.jpg

Plot the position of the elevator assuming that its velocity at t=0 is zero and the elevator starts moving from a zero ground level.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in a calculus-based physics course? The problem sounds like it calls on you to integrate this acceleration function to find the velocity function, then to integrate that to find a positive function, given that v(0) = 0 and x(0) = 0.

This will be harder to deal with if you have to do it only graphically.

I could use integration to solve this, then I have to use the values to plot a graph.
Still need help staring this problem. Thanks.

Prathep said:
I could use integration to solve this, then I have to use the values to plot a graph.

So wouldn't you be plotting the values of x(t) for different times? Also, is e in that function supposed to be 2.71828... ? So you have all the information you need to find the position function and calculate positions, no?

e = 2.71828183

I have integrated the acceleration equation twice to find out position. Then I plotted the equation on Maple and i got this graph, Can someone tell weather this is correct or incorrect way of addressing this problem. I also can't understand the Graph, according to the graph it says the the position of the elevator increases exponential after 5 second. Can someone explain the graph to me. Thanks

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3210/mattttttsr1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
- First of all it does not make sense to plot the position time graph for negative time values. You should graph the position function for t>=0

- Secondly as for explaining the graph for positive t values note the following:
The elevator at t = 0 starts at about 14 units away from the origin of your frame of reference and for t = 4 it will come towards the origin and then for t>4 it will move away from the origin.

Thanks for the reply

-The reason i plotted the graph for negative values is to get a perspective of what is happening.

-Is the "y axis" referring to the floor number?

-Also why is it moving away from the orgin at a expoential rate?

Related to How Does an Elevator's Acceleration Change Over Time?

What is acceleration of an elevator?

The acceleration of an elevator refers to the rate at which its velocity changes over time.

How is acceleration of an elevator measured?

The acceleration of an elevator can be measured using an accelerometer, which is a device that measures acceleration in a specific direction.

What factors affect the acceleration of an elevator?

The acceleration of an elevator is affected by the mass of the elevator, the force of gravity, and any external forces acting on the elevator.

How does acceleration affect the feeling of riding in an elevator?

Acceleration can cause the sensation of movement in an elevator, particularly during changes in speed. This is due to the force of gravity acting on our bodies.

Is the acceleration of an elevator constant?

No, the acceleration of an elevator is not constant. It changes as the elevator starts and stops, and it may also vary depending on the direction the elevator is moving in.