How Does an Electron Behave in a 1D Crystal Potential Well?

In summary, the electron in a one dimensional crystal is bound by U(x)=-\overline{h}^{2}x^{2}}{mL^{2}\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}for \left|x\right| < Land x=infinityfor \left|x\right| \geq LThe electron is stationary state satisfies the Schrodinger equation when E=-2m and x=L.
wavingerwin

Homework Statement

An electron in a one dimensional crystal is bound by:

[tex]U(x) = \frac{-\overline{h}^{2}x^{2}}{mL^{2}\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}[/tex]
for
[tex]\left|x\right| < L[/tex]

and
[tex]x = infinity[/tex]
for
[tex]\left|x\right| \geq L[/tex]

Show that a stationary state for the electron in the potential well
[tex]\psi(x) = A\left(1-\frac{x^{2}}{L^{2}}\right)[/tex]
satisfies the Schrodinger's Equation

and find E

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{-\overline{h}^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}+U(x)\psi = E\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

from Schrodinger's:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}} = \frac{-2m}{\overline{h}^{2}}\left(\frac{\overline{h}^{2}x^{2}}{mL^{2}\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}+E\right)\psi[/tex]

and from the guess solution:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}} = \frac{-2A}{L^{2}} = \frac{-2}{\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}\psi[/tex]

and so equating [tex]\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}[/tex],
I deduced that it satisfies the Schrodinger's equation but only when E = 0 and x = L.

Am I right?

I am also concerned because the potential, U, is negative 'inside' the well...

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be a stationary state if it only satisfies the Schrodinger eqn at a single 'x' point. I think you need to double check your work on this problem, since you made an incorrect assumption.

I suggest simplifying the two terms you list in the parenthesis of the first eqn in your attempt at a solution. Convert it to one giant fraction. Then try to find an energy that will remove the 'x'-dependence in the numerator of that fraction. You will want to keep the x-dependence in the denominator since it needs to equal your 2nd equation. You want this equality to be applied to any value of 'x' and not just one specific value like before.

Hi nickjer

After putting it as a single fraction, I got:

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}} = \left(\frac{-2}{\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}\frac{x^{2}\left(\overline{h}^{2}-mE\right)+mL^{4}E}{L^{2}\overline{h}^{2}}\right)\psi
[/tex]

I just cannot figure out how to remove the x dependencies in the numerator.

If I equate this with
[tex]
\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}} = \frac{-2}{\left(L^{2}-x^{2}\right)}\psi
[/tex]

I can get a value for E, however it depends on x, which i think is wrong...

Maybe, just maybe, is the question wrong and
[tex]
\psi(x) = A\left(1-\frac{x^{2}}{L^{2}}\right)
[/tex]
is not a possible solution to the situation?

Double check your math for the numerator. I believe you are missing something. Also, once you correct the numerator, then you see the x^2 has a coefficient next to it in parenthesis. Very similar to what you have now (although yours is slightly wrong). Since you are solving for the energy that makes this stationary state satisfy Schrodinger's eqn, then you are free to choose an E that will make this coefficient in parenthesis go to 0. Then you will have 0*x^2 = 0. So you canceled out the x-dependence.

If I'm right this time, I was missing L2

And so I equate 0 = hbar2 - L2mE

and also, after eliminating x2, I equate to the guess solution,

and both of them give me a consistent answer:

[tex]E = \frac{\overline{h}^{2}}{mL^{2}}[/tex]

Now, I think this is right!

If it is, thanks very much :smile:

Related to How Does an Electron Behave in a 1D Crystal Potential Well?

1. What is Schrodinger's Equation in 1D?

Schrodinger's Equation in 1D is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in one dimension. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to determine the wave function of a particle in a given system.

2. How is Schrodinger's Equation in 1D derived?

Schrodinger's Equation in 1D is derived from the more general Schrodinger Equation, which was developed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. It involves using the Hamiltonian operator to describe the energy of a particle and the wave function to describe the position and momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of Schrodinger's Equation in 1D?

Schrodinger's Equation in 1D is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles, which have unique properties and behaviors that cannot be described by classical physics. It is essential in many fields, including chemistry, materials science, and electronics.

4. Can Schrodinger's Equation in 1D be solved analytically?

In most cases, Schrodinger's Equation in 1D cannot be solved analytically, meaning that there is no simple formula for the solution. Instead, it is typically solved using numerical methods or approximations. However, there are a few special cases where an analytical solution is possible.

5. How is Schrodinger's Equation in 1D used in real-world applications?

Schrodinger's Equation in 1D is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including predicting the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, understanding the properties of materials, and designing electronic devices such as transistors. It is also used in quantum computing and quantum information processing.