How does an A- compare to an A?

• Thread starter RedQueen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between an A- and an A in terms of graduate school admissions and GPA. It is mentioned that graduate committees usually convert all transcripts into a common scale to determine admission and rank candidates. The difference between an A- and an A is also discussed in terms of GPA, but it is noted that grad schools look at the overall picture and value research and recommendation letters over grades.
RedQueen
Recently, I received an A- in a math class I feel I deserved an A. Unfortunately, the class was 94+ for an A which was not mentioned on the syllabus. How does the graduate committee view an A- compared to an A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your school should publish a chart that details the calculation of a grade point average and for converting its grades into other common grading systems.

Graduate committees (or often at some point earleir in the admissions process before the departmental admissions committee even sees the application) will usually convert the transcripts from all applicants into a common scale. This common scale can then be used to determine whether the candidates meet minimum requirements for admission and then rank candidates relative to each other.

In that sense an A- is generally high enough to meet minimum admission standards, and seen as below an A, but above a B+. Further details will depend on the specific school.

Last edited:
You'll have to ask them. Do you think the committee is going to establish a math grade cutoff at A and not A- ?

You got an A- and expected to get an A. If you had gotten an A instead, would you have lobbied your professor to get an A+ ? o_O

How much is this going to affect your GPA?

jtbell said:
How much is this going to affect your GPA?

Well an A- qualifies for 3.75 on the gpa scale while an A is a 4.00. However, the class is 4 credits. I will still be able to maintain a math gpa over 3.9, but I was just wondering if an A- was looked down significantly.

Grad schools don't care about one individual grade, they care about the whole picture and want to see that you have challenged yourself with your course load. Grad school admissions are much different than undergrad. They want to pick the students with the most potential to do research, not the ones who only know how to excel in courses. Research and recommendation letters are what sets an applicant apart not grades. If your grades are above a certain point (which an A- is) then they are really not going to have as much of an impact on your application.

Related to How does an A- compare to an A?

1. How does an A- differ from an A?

An A- is one letter grade lower than an A. It indicates a slightly lower level of mastery or understanding of the subject material compared to an A.

2. Is an A- considered a good grade?

Yes, an A- is still considered a good grade. It is typically above average and indicates a strong understanding of the subject material.

3. Does an A- affect my GPA?

Yes, an A- will have a slightly lower impact on your GPA compared to an A. A- is typically worth 3.7 points on a 4.0 scale, whereas an A is worth 4.0 points.

4. How are grades like A- and A determined?

Grades are typically determined by a combination of exams, assignments, and class participation. However, each teacher or professor may have their own specific grading criteria.

5. Can I improve an A- to an A?

It is possible to improve an A- to an A by earning a higher grade on future assignments or exams. However, it is ultimately up to the teacher or professor to decide the final grade for the course.