How does air travel after leaving a nozzle?

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the time it takes for air particles to travel a certain distance after leaving a converging nozzle. The individual has information about the nozzle, its speed, and the potential effects of blowing out in a normal atmosphere. They also suggest using a high-speed camera for research, and clarify that the air's Mach number is a measure of velocity relative to the sound speed. The complexity of the situation is acknowledged, with the suggestion to research fluid jets as the best approach.
Bayko
I am working on a project which involves air nozzles. I am interested in estimating the time it takes for air particles after they leave the nozzle to reach a particular distance away.
I have the following information--- a converging nozzle, the speed with which it is coming out of the nozzle(I know when the air is choked it comes out at Mach number). I also believe that if the nozzle was blowing in vacuum, the air would continue traveling at Mach number. How would blowing out in "normal atmosphere" affect it? I just want a rough idea/guideline. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you take this as an opportunity to do some Mythbuster's style research with a rented high speed camera?

Just FYI, saying the air is moving "at Mach number" doesn't make sense. The Mach number is a dimensionless measure of velocity relative to the sound speed.

I have a feeling that the situation is considerably more complicated than you seem to suspect. A jet such as this will tend to diverge after it leaves the nozzle as a function of its own properties and the surrounding pressure. It will also be subject to all manner of instabilities and very well may be turbulent, complicating matters.

Your best bet is to start researching fluid jets.

Related to How does air travel after leaving a nozzle?

1. How does the shape of a nozzle affect air travel?

The shape of a nozzle greatly affects air travel. A nozzle with a wider opening will allow for a higher volume of air to pass through, resulting in greater thrust and speed. On the other hand, a narrower nozzle will create a higher pressure and more focused stream of air, resulting in more control and precision.

2. What is the Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to air travel through a nozzle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. In the context of air travel through a nozzle, this means that as the air passes through the narrow opening of the nozzle, its speed increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This helps to create the thrust needed for propulsion.

3. Can the temperature of the air affect its travel through a nozzle?

Yes, the temperature of the air can affect its travel through a nozzle. Warmer air is less dense than cooler air, which means it has less mass per unit volume. This results in a lower pressure and a higher speed as the air passes through the nozzle. However, extreme temperatures can also affect the performance of the nozzle itself.

4. How does the angle of the nozzle affect air travel?

The angle of the nozzle, also known as the divergence angle, plays a crucial role in air travel. A wider angle creates a larger exit area for the air to pass through, resulting in a slower speed but a more dispersed stream of air. A narrower angle will create a higher speed and more focused stream of air, but with less volume.

5. Does the air travel differently through a nozzle at different altitudes?

Yes, air travel through a nozzle can be affected by altitude. As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense, resulting in a lower pressure and a higher speed as it passes through the nozzle. This can affect the performance of the nozzle and the aircraft's overall thrust and speed.