How Does Air Resistance Impact Projectile Motion in Sports?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of conducting an extended essay on the topic of how air resistance affects the projectile motion of sports balls. The individual is collecting data by video taping throws and measuring the ball's position in each frame. They are also looking for an equation to compare the actual throw with and without air resistance. The equations used in their attempt at a solution include v2 = u2 + 2as, S = ut + 1/2at2, v = u + at, and d = vt. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the horizontal component of motion and the varying effects of wind resistance on acceleration. Suggestions for further research and analysis are also provided.
hidajua

Homework Statement

I have started my extended essay for the IB, My REsearch Question is "How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of sports balls?" i am collecting data by video taping the throws and measuring where the ball is in every frame. My supervisor tells me that i have to have and equation so that i can see the difference between the actual throw and the throw without air resistance, i don't now how to get that equation.

Homework Equations

v2 = u2 + 2as, S = ut + 1/2at2, v = u + at, d = vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to generate a best fit equation of all the values collected, and then a best fit equation for the first values (since those values are the least affected by air resistance) and compare both equation's positive x-intercept

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how much detail you are being asked to give. Are you only looking at the horizontal component of motion?

If so then neglecting air effects the horizontal motion should be linear. This is your last equation:
[tex]d = v \cdot t[/tex]
where d is the horizontal position (taking the initial position as 0) and v is the initial velocity.

(Note v in this last equation should equate to u in the others.)

As you mention you should estimate the initial velocity from the first few frames.
Speed = (distance / time) = ( distance times frames-per-second / number of frames).
This will be the same initial velocity ( u ) used in the equations which are taking air resistance into account.

The other equations all appear to be assuming acceleration is a constant. Wind resistance is not a constant but depends on speed. You can use these equations however to get a first order approximation if the ball is not slowing down too much throughout your record of each throw. If the initial speed of various recorded throws varies by much you ought to plot acceleration as a function of this varying speed.

The first equation:
[tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2a\cdot s[/tex]
comes from the energy and work done on the ball by the air assuming the acceleration (and force) are constant. It appears as if v is the varying velocity and u the initial velocity in this equation. Note that if you multiply by m/2 and apply force = mass x accel you get KE = Initial KE + Work done. (KE= Kinetic energy = m/2 velocity squared)

The second and third equation we get from calculus assuming constant acceleration. S appears to be the horizontal position at time t and again u is the initial velocity and v appears to be the variable velocity (as a function of time). Again the acceleration a should be taken as a negative values since it opposes the direction of motion (which I assume you want to take as positive).

If you really want to get into more detail you should put the position for each frame into a column in a spreadsheet. Then in the next column take the differences times the frames per second to get the velocity. Then in the third column again take the differences in velocities times the frames per second to get the acceleration.

Do this with several trials and then try to find the best fit for acceleration as a function of the velocity. Try researching online to find the best type of function to use. (I could tell you ... but then I'd have to kill you :wink:)

If the accelerations don't change much over a single video then you could alternatively just get the average acceleration and do trials for different speeds to see how acceleration depends on speed.

At the very least you should plot position and velocity as a function of time comparing the constant velocity (no acceleration) case with the actual data (with equivalent initial velocity).

You should also at least mention that wind resistance depends on the speed. A good way to end your essay is to explain how this affects your results and suggest improvements based on this fact.

I hope this has been helpful.

to see the difference in distance travelled. However, my results were not consistent and I'm not sure if this is the correct approach.Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your extended essay. Your research question on the effects of air resistance on projectile motion of sports balls is a very interesting and relevant topic. It is great that you have already started collecting data through video taping and measuring the position of the ball in each frame.

To address your supervisor's suggestion of having an equation to compare the actual throw and the throw without air resistance, you can use the equations you have listed in the "Homework Equations" section. These equations are known as the kinematic equations and they describe the motion of an object under constant acceleration. In your case, the acceleration is due to gravity and the air resistance.

To incorporate air resistance into your equations, you can use the drag force equation, which is given by Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the ball, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the ball. This force acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the ball and will affect its velocity and position.

To incorporate this drag force into your kinematic equations, you can use the concept of net force, where the net force acting on the ball is equal to the sum of all forces acting on it. So, your equations will now look like this:

v2 = u2 + 2as - (Fd/m), where m is the mass of the ball

S = ut + 1/2at2 - (Fd/m)t

v = u + at - (Fd/m)t

d = vt - 1/2(Fd/m)t2

Here, the first term in each equation represents the motion without air resistance, while the second term represents the effect of air resistance. You can use these equations to calculate the difference in distance travelled between the actual throw and the throw without air resistance.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your extended essay!

Related to How Does Air Resistance Impact Projectile Motion in Sports?

What is an extended essay?

An extended essay is an in-depth research project that is required for students to complete in order to earn an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. It is typically around 4,000 words in length and allows students to explore a topic of their choice in a subject area of their choosing.

Why do I need help with my extended essay?

The extended essay is a rigorous and complex academic task, and it is common for students to feel overwhelmed or unsure of how to approach it. Seeking help can provide valuable guidance and support to ensure that your essay is of high quality and meets the requirements set by the IB.

Who can help me with my extended essay?

Your first point of contact should be your IB coordinator or extended essay supervisor, as they are familiar with the requirements and can provide guidance and support. You can also seek help from your subject teachers, peers, and even external tutors or mentors who have expertise in your chosen topic.

How can I choose a suitable topic for my extended essay?

Choosing a topic for your extended essay can be challenging, but it should be something that you are interested in and have a strong understanding of. It should also be specific enough to allow for in-depth research, but not too broad that it becomes overwhelming. Consult with your supervisor and do some preliminary research before finalizing your topic.

What are some tips for writing a successful extended essay?

Some tips for writing a successful extended essay include starting early, staying organized, and using reliable sources for your research. Make sure to follow the guidelines and criteria set by the IB, and seek feedback from your supervisor throughout the writing process. It is also important to proofread and edit your essay carefully before submission.