How Does Air Resistance Affect Theoretical vs Actual Projectile Range?

In summary: Your ball does not accelerate in the horizontal direction.How heavy is the ball and what is its size? If it has a high density, then you essentially have calculated the initial velocity because over that distance/velocity, air drag would be almost negligible. If the ball has a low density, then the range and time of flight are both affected to a greater extent.
Parkstrailer

Homework Statement

I need to determine theoretical vs actual range of a projectile; but first I must determine initial velocity. The projectile was launched from 1 meter high, at 0° with respect to the horizontal, so I shot it horizontally. The ball landed at a distance of 2.97 meters. My professor wants us to understand how air resistance comes into play, hence determining theoretical vs actual distance.

I've seen many other questions similar to mine, and have tried substituting my numbers in for theirs, but I always seem to be missing one step.

Homework Equations

So far the equation I think works the best to determine initial velocity is ×/ sqrt(2h/g) = Vi
x = distance (2.97m)
h = height (1m)
g = gravity (9.8m/s^2)
Vi = initial velocity

Another equation I found but can't seem to get to work is Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now the best answer I think I'm getting is 6.57 m/s for initial velocity, but I am not sure if this is right.

If it is right, how can I use it to determine theoretical range?

Thank you in Advance

EP

Physics news on Phys.org
"Another equation I found but can't seem to get to work is Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ad"

Above applies to an object accelerating (constant acceleration) with an initial velocity. Your ball does not accelerate in the horizontal direction.

Last edited:
How heavy is the ball and what is its size? If it has a high density, then you essentially have calculated the initial velocity because over that distance/velocity, air drag would be almost negligible. If the ball has a low density, then the range and time of flight are both affected to a greater extent.

Can someone atleast tell me if my speed at 6.57 is correct ?

The vertical acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 so the distance the projectile falls in t seconds is (1/2)(9.8)t^2= 4.9t^2. That tells you that the projectile will descend 1 m and hit the ground when 4.9t^2= 1 or t= sqrt(1/4.9)= .452 seconds, approximately. If it went 2.97 m horizontally in that time, its horizontal speed (neglecting friction) must be 2.97/.452= 6.57 m/s so, yes, that is correct.

Parkstrailer said:
Can someone atleast tell me if my speed at 6.57 is correct ?

From my previous post: "If it has a high density, then you essentially have calculated the initial velocity because over that distance/velocity, air drag would be almost negligible."

Related to How Does Air Resistance Affect Theoretical vs Actual Projectile Range?

What is the purpose of determining theoretical range?

Theoretical range refers to the maximum and minimum values that a certain variable can reach based on theoretical calculations. It is important for scientists to determine theoretical range in order to understand the potential limits and possibilities of their research or experiments.

What factors are considered when determining theoretical range?

Theoretical range takes into account several factors such as physical laws, mathematical equations, and known data points. It also considers any assumptions or limitations that may affect the outcome.

How is theoretical range different from actual range?

Theoretical range is based on theoretical calculations while actual range is based on real-world observations or measurements. Theoretical range serves as a theoretical framework, while actual range provides empirical evidence.

Can theoretical range be used to make predictions?

Yes, theoretical range can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a variable within a certain range. However, it is important to note that the actual outcomes may differ from the theoretical predictions due to various external factors.

How can determining theoretical range be useful in scientific research?

Determining theoretical range can help scientists to set realistic goals and expectations for their research. It can also guide the design of experiments and help in identifying any discrepancies between theoretical and actual results.