How Does Air Flow Over an Aircraft Wing?

In summary: The air molecules are still because the wing is moving at the same speed as the air.The wing is pushing the air up and pulling it back down, by the curve of the upper surface of the wing.ok i seeSo I know that the faster the fluid moves the lower the pressure.Only in the situation where no work is done on the fluid, such as the idealized case of zero viscosity fluid in a pipe of varying diameters.In summary, an airplane wing produces lift by pushing air up and pulling it back down.
cragar
So I know that the faster the fluid moves the lower the pressure . But what I don’t get about an airplane wing producing lift , so the plane is cutting through the air , and the air molecules are still . Why does the air molecule on the top part magically just speed up ?.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
So I know that the faster the fluid moves the lower the pressure . But what I don’t get about an airplane wing producing lift , so the plane is cutting through the air , and the air molecules are still . Why does the air molecule on the top part magically just speed up ?.

It's being pushed up and pulled back down, by the curve of the upper surface of the wing.

ok i see

cragar said:
So I know that the faster the fluid moves the lower the pressure.
Only in the situation where no work is done on the fluid, such as the idealized case of zero viscosity fluid in a pipe of varying diameters.

It's easier to understand this with a propeller. The propeller does work, so Bernoulli relationship doesn't hold in the immediate vicinity of the propeller, but Bernoulli relationship holds in the air flow away from the prop where no work is being done. From NASA link:

We can apply Bernoulli'sequation to the air in front of the propeller and to the air behind the propeller. But we cannot apply Bernoulli's equation across the propeller disk because the work performed by the engine (propeller on air) violates an assumption used to derive the equation.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/propanl.html

In the case of wings, the goal isn't maximum thrust, but just enough to support the plane in flight and handle higher load factors in turns. So the lift and drag aspects are less than a prop, and the losses are much less, less work is done on the air, and Bernoulli based math can be used to model lift at moderate wing loadings, but it doesn't take into account the small amount of work done on the air.

cragar said:
Why does the air molecule on the top part magically just speed up ?.
The wing has an effective angle of attack, one or both surfaces of the wing are angled downwards. It the bottom surface is angled downwards, it simply deflects the air flow downwards. If the upper surface is angled downwards, then it introduces a "void" as the the wing passes through the air and the air has to fill in this void (else a vacuum would be created). I've been credited and/or accused of inventing the term "void theory" or "void abhorence theory" for wings, but it's commonly used to explain why drag on a bus is mostly due factors at the back of the bus and not the front. Also the Wiki article on wings mentions "void" (so there's at least one other advocate of "void theory"):

In that case a low pressure region is generated on the upper surface of the wing which draws the air above the wing downwards towards what would otherwise be a void after the wing had passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing

The void concept seems obvious, but it's seldom mentioned in articles on lift. The amount of lift that occurs above a wing depends on how the air fills that "void". If the factors, speed, angle of attack, sharpness of leading edge, ... aren't excessive, then the air mostly accelerates downwards (lift) and a bit forwards (drag) to fill the void. If the factors get excessive, the air circulates in small vortices or in a severe case one large vortice to fill in the void. The small vortices don't hurt too much and most wings get this king of turblent flow over most of the air foil. The very large vortice still lowers pressure, but not very much and results in a lot of forwards acceleration of air, so less lift and more drag. Delta wing airfoils are designed to take advantage of small vortice flow near the angled leading edge, allowing for high angles of attack (20 degrees or so).

Last edited:
o thanks for your reply

We get these airplane wing questions wayyyyyyyyy too often. Someone should just stick one of the answers and delete all new threads on airplane wings.

cragar said:
Via the principle of relativity, there is no difference between a still wing with a 100 mph wind (ie, in a wind tunnel) and still air and a wing going through it at 100 mph.

there IS a void above the wing. there is low pressure above the wing and high pressure below the wing. the low pressure pulls the air into itself thereby speeding up the air above the wing. as the air leaves the low pressure area it slows down again.

the back of the bus is where most of the turbulence is (because the back of the bus isn't shaped like the back of a wing. it doesn't come to a point)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
It's being pushed up and pulled back down, by the curve of the upper surface of the wing.

The air flow separation is created by the angle of attack of the wing, not its shape.

QuantumPion said:
The air flow separation is created by the angle of attack of the wing, not its shape.
:confused: :confused:

russ_watters said:
:confused: :confused:
There's a lot of that going on in this thread.

QuantumPion said:
russ_watters said:
?
I think he means the lift is related to the effective angle of attack (which is zero when there is zero lift). Seperation is going to occur with any solid object. The shape of airfoil mostly determines the amount of drag for a given lift, and targets a specific speed range.

:smile: We get these complaints of duplicate threads wayyyyyyyyy too often. Someone should just stick one of the answers and delete all new complaints of duplicate threads.

Related to How Does Air Flow Over an Aircraft Wing?

1. How does the shape of an aircraft wing affect air flow?

The shape of an aircraft wing, specifically its curvature or camber, plays a crucial role in air flow over the wing. A curved or cambered wing creates a region of higher air pressure on the lower surface and lower air pressure on the upper surface. This pressure difference results in lift, allowing the aircraft to stay airborne.

2. What is the angle of attack and how does it impact air flow over a wing?

The angle of attack is the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air. It is an important factor in determining the lift and drag forces on the wing. As the angle of attack increases, the lift force also increases until a certain point, after which the lift force decreases and the drag force increases. This is known as the stall angle of attack and can result in loss of lift and control of the aircraft.

3. How do boundary layers affect air flow over a wing?

Boundary layers are thin layers of air that form on the surface of the wing due to the viscosity of air. These layers can either be laminar, where the air flows smoothly, or turbulent, where the air flows in a chaotic manner. Turbulent boundary layers can increase drag and decrease lift, while laminar boundary layers can decrease drag and increase lift.

4. Why are aircraft wings designed with a curved shape instead of a flat shape?

Aircraft wings are designed with a curved shape, or an airfoil, because it is more efficient in generating lift compared to a flat shape. The curved shape creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces, resulting in lift. A flat shape would not produce enough lift and would require a higher angle of attack, which can lead to stalling.

5. How does air flow over a wing change at different speeds?

At lower speeds, the air flow over a wing is slower and the boundary layer is usually laminar. As the speed increases, the air flow over the wing becomes faster and the boundary layer can become turbulent. This can lead to increased drag and decreased lift, as well as other aerodynamic effects such as wingtip vortices. Aircraft are designed to operate at specific speeds to optimize their performance and minimize these effects.