How Does Adjusting a Rheostat Impact Voltage Distribution in a Circuit?

In summary,The current through the load will increase as the total resistance decreases. Therefore, the voltage across the load will increase.
kira506
I'm talking about the primitive rheostat with coils and a slide and such , why when we inc. The resistance of rheostat does Vext inc and Vint dec. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw the (complete) circuit, it is fairly easy to predict what will happen and give a reason. A verbal description may not be supplying enough information.

Yes,I've tried but I just can't seem to grasp a full idea of how V-internal decreases (which is equal to I r small) because current decreases when resistance of rheostat inc , and V-external increases whish is equal to IR , I mean the current is the same as i both ! Unless the current is different ?

This is a bit like trying 'grasp' how the supermarket bill works. It's down to the sums and the very basics of electricity more than anything. You will be able to feel that you have a grasp when you follow the sums through.
Have you drawn the circuit?
Mark the rheostat as R1 and the Load as R2. If Vin is the supply voltage then
The total current I through the two resistors will be Vin/ (R1+R2)
This current is, of course, dependent upon the two resistor values.
You say:
("Unless the current is different
Of course it's different! I = V/R always and it's that total series resistance that counts.
Clearly, I will get greater as R1 goes down (i.e. as the total resistance decreases).
So the current through the load will increase (Same current round the whole loop)
That means that the volts across the load Vout = IR2, will increase because I has increased.
Naturally, if the volts across the load have increased, the volts across the rheostat will have decreased because there is the same total supply voltage across the two resistors and it's the sum of the two volts.
The smaller resistor gets the smaller share of the total voltage.

But whenever I try it out , I find that by decreasing the total current ,the total voltage increases (decreasing total current by increaasing resistnance of rheostat) and there's this other resistor connected in series to the rheostat , the voltage in the second resistance (which is fixed) decreases by decreasig current , how can the total voltage increase while part of it decreases , please help me,the answer's like that in my textbook and I can't fully interpret it

sophiecentaur said:
This is a bit like trying 'grasp' how the supermarket bill works. It's down to the sums and the very basics of electricity more than anything. You will be able to feel that you have a grasp when you follow the sums through.
Have you drawn the circuit?
Mark the rheostat as R1 and the Load as R2. If Vin is the supply voltage then
The total current I through the two resistors will be Vin/ (R1+R2)
This current is, of course, dependent upon the two resistor values.
You say:

Of course it's different! I = V/R always and it's that total series resistance that counts.
Clearly, I will get greater as R1 goes down (i.e. as the total resistance decreases).
So the current through the load will increase (Same current round the whole loop)
That means that the volts across the load Vout = IR2, will increase because I has increased.
Naturally, if the volts across the load have increased, the volts across the rheostat will have decreased because there is the same total supply voltage across the two resistors and it's the sum of the two volts.
The smaller resistor gets the smaller share of the total voltage.

XD thanks a lot , you imagined the circuit with me and explained it quite smoothly , well I've got another question,the one that confused me the most , I'll base it on the circuit you imagined , the Q : what happens to Vload and Vout on increasing R1 ? And find a relation between V load an Vout where Vout = Vint (total of battery)- Ir where r small is the internal resistance

Related to How Does Adjusting a Rheostat Impact Voltage Distribution in a Circuit?

What is a rheostat?

A rheostat is an electrical component that is used to vary the resistance in a circuit. It typically consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylinder with a movable contact arm that can slide along the coil to change the amount of resistance in the circuit.

How does a rheostat affect current?

A rheostat affects current by changing the resistance in the circuit. As the resistance increases, the current flowing through the circuit decreases. This is because Ohm's law states that current is inversely proportional to resistance.

What is the relationship between rheostat resistance and current?

The relationship between rheostat resistance and current is inverse, meaning that as the resistance increases, the current decreases. This can be described by Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R.

What happens to the voltage in a circuit when a rheostat is added?

When a rheostat is added to a circuit, the voltage remains constant. However, the voltage drop across the rheostat will change depending on the resistance set by the rheostat. The total voltage in the circuit will still be equal to the sum of the voltage drops across each component in the circuit.

How does a rheostat affect the brightness of a light bulb?

A rheostat can be used to control the brightness of a light bulb by changing the amount of current flowing through the circuit. As the resistance is increased, the current decreases, resulting in a dimmer light. Similarly, decreasing the resistance will increase the current and make the light bulb brighter.