How Does Adding a Second Pair of Slits Affect Interference Patterns?

In summary, the interference pattern will be absent in the case where the detector measures the particle.
Paul Howard A
Standard slit lamp experiment with detectors at the slits turned on. This creates two beams without an interference pattern at the screen. Now, impose a second pair of slits (without detectors) in the path of one of the beams. What will be the pattern on the screen?

I'm confident this has been done. Could someone give me a reference please?

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be an interference pattern. What were you expecting? I don't see how the second light is relevant.

Interesting casus. I've heard about detecting which slit an electron goes through (it indeed destroys the interference pattern) but I wonder how you would detect a photon without hindering it ?

My bet is on the "re"-appearance of an interference pattern: this one beam doesn't know its history in the preceding path.

But I'm curious to hear better arguments !

I, too, would speculate that a diffraction pattern would reemerge. However, If the detector measures a particle, then has not the wave function of the photon collapsed? Does the wave function then reappear after a photon passes through the first slit? I assume it does but wondered if it had been tested.

BvU said:
I've heard about detecting which slit an electron goes through (it indeed destroys the interference pattern) but I wonder how you would detect a photon without hindering it ?
A clever and complicated technique is to entangle the photon (the "signal") with another one (the "idler") before it reaches the slit, and then find a measurement on the idler photon that will produce a different result according to which slit the signal photon went through. However, it is sufficient to put a polarizer behind each slit - if the two polarizers are at right angles there will be no interference.

Likes BvU
Paul Howard A said:
I, too, would speculate that a diffraction pattern would reemerge. However, If the detector measures a particle, then has not the wave function of the photon collapsed? Does the wave function then reappear after a photon passes through the first slit?

In the basic version of the double slit experiment, you send a particle towards a barrier with two slits in it, the particle interacts with the barrier and ends up in a superposition of "went left" and "went right". These two interfere at the screen and we get an interference pattern. On the other hand, if we put detectors in the slits the particle interacts with the detectors as well as the barrier, and the particle ends up in either the state "went left" (and the left-hand detector triggered) or the state "went right" (and the right-hand detector triggered). Either way, there's no superposition to produce an interface pattern at the screen.

The situation you're asking about is no different. All we have to do is think of the slit in the first barrier as the source of the particle that we're sending towards the double slit in the second barrier, and we're back to the standard version of the thought experiment.

Likes Paul Howard A and BvU
Thank you all.

Related to How Does Adding a Second Pair of Slits Affect Interference Patterns?

1. What is a multiple slit experiment?

A multiple slit experiment is a scientific experiment that involves shining a beam of particles or waves through a series of closely spaced parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. What is the purpose of a multiple slit experiment?

The purpose of a multiple slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles or waves and to study the phenomenon of interference, where two or more waves overlap and create a new pattern.

3. How does a multiple slit experiment work?

In a multiple slit experiment, a beam of particles or waves is directed towards a barrier with multiple parallel slits. The particles or waves then pass through the slits and interfere with each other, creating a characteristic pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier.

4. What is the difference between the single slit and multiple slit experiment?

The single slit experiment involves a single slit and produces a diffraction pattern, while the multiple slit experiment involves multiple slits and produces an interference pattern. Both experiments demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles or waves, but the multiple slit experiment shows more complex interference patterns.

5. What are some real-world applications of the multiple slit experiment?

The multiple slit experiment has been used in various fields of science, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It has also been used to study the properties of light, such as polarization and diffraction. Additionally, the concept of interference in multiple slit experiments has been applied in technologies such as holography and diffraction gratings.