How Does Accretion Impact Galaxy Formation According to the IMF?

In summary, the student had a homework problem that was already due, but they were able to obtain the solutions. However, they still do not understand the solution and are seeking further explanation. The question and solution can be found at the provided link and the problem in question is #3. The equations used in the solution are shown in the solution itself. The student admits to not putting much effort into attempting the problem, but now that they have looked at the solution, it is completely foreign to them. They are hoping for a better explanation from others who may have a different approach to solving the problem.
astrofunk21

Homework Statement

I had a homework problem which was already due. I got the solutions for the homework and still don't understand where the solution is coming from. The question and solution are located here: http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/Astr_540/PS3_soln.pdf The problem is #3.

Homework Equations

The equations are shown in the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt really wasn't much. I really didn't have much time to work on it. Now that I've looked over the solution, it looks completely foreign to me haha maybe some of you guys can explain what's happening in the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
The explanation will be better if we know how you would approach the problem - now that you have the time to think about it some more.
From what you've supplied, the model solution involves applying equations from a textbook.

Related to How Does Accretion Impact Galaxy Formation According to the IMF?

1. What is accretion in galaxies?

Accretion is the process by which galaxies grow in size by accumulating matter from their surroundings. This matter can be in the form of gas, dust, stars, or even other galaxies.

2. What is the IMF and how does it relate to accretion in galaxies?

The IMF (Initial Mass Function) is a measure of the distribution of masses of newborn stars in a galaxy. It is an important factor in understanding how much new mass is added to a galaxy through accretion and how this affects the overall growth and evolution of the galaxy.

3. How does the IMF affect the rate of accretion in galaxies?

The IMF can impact the rate of accretion in galaxies in several ways. For example, a top-heavy IMF (more massive stars) will result in faster accretion rates, whereas a bottom-heavy IMF (more low-mass stars) will lead to slower rates of accretion.

4. Can accretion in galaxies be observed?

Yes, accretion in galaxies can be observed through various methods such as studying the gas and dust surrounding galaxies, measuring the motions of stars within galaxies, and observing the mergers of galaxies.

5. How does accretion in galaxies contribute to the formation of stars?

Accretion in galaxies is a key process in the formation of new stars. The matter being accreted can condense and collapse under its own gravity, forming dense regions where stars can form. Additionally, accretion can also provide the necessary fuel for ongoing star formation within a galaxy.