How Does a Water Molecule React Between Opposing Magnetic Poles?

In summary, when an object becomes stuck between two magnetic fields, it is experiencing a phenomenon known as magnetic trapping. This occurs when the forces exerted by two opposing magnetic fields are equal and opposite, causing the object to remain suspended in place. This effect is commonly seen in experiments involving charged particles or in industrial applications such as magnetic levitation trains. Magnetic trapping can be controlled and manipulated by adjusting the strength and orientation of the magnetic fields, making it a valuable tool for various scientific and technological purposes.
v1p0r
So let's say a water molecule is stuck between a positive magnetic field and a negative magnetic field ?

Physics news on Phys.org
what would happen to the molecule it self ?

v1p0r said:
So let's say a water molecule is stuck between a positive magnetic field and a negative magnetic field ?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I find a lot of people pick up in elementary education that magnetic fields are positive or negative, and they don't shake the misconception in secondary education. Electric charges are viewed as negative or positive. Magnets are viewed as having a north pole and a south pole.

Allowing for that correction, I cannot tell what you are asking...

Fewmet said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

I find a lot of people pick up in elementary education that magnetic fields are positive or negative, and they don't shake the misconception in secondary education. Electric charges are viewed as negative or positive. Magnets are viewed as having a north pole and a south pole.

Allowing for that correction, I cannot tell what you are asking...

what i meant by positive and negative are the 2 opposite poles :)... i was wondering if i used both .. what would happen to the object in between ? and what how does the molecule get affected

v1p0r said:
what i meant by positive and negative are the 2 opposite poles :)... i was wondering if i used both .. what would happen to the object in between ? and what how does the molecule get affected

OK.

One other correction: a field lines are described as flowing from a negative charge to a positive charge. Properly, the field is neither positive nor negative, but the charges are.

As maybe you know, water is a strongly polar molecule, which means it has a negative charge on one end of the molecule (the oxygen side) and a positive charge on the other "end" (where the hydrogen atoms are). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Water-elpot-transparent-3D-balls.png" is one of many images of it on the web).

In the situation you describe, the molecule would orient itself such that the oxygen atom is closer to the positive charge and the hydrogen atoms are closer to the negative particle. The water molecule would also move toward one or the other.

Does that address your question?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does a Water Molecule React Between Opposing Magnetic Poles?

1. What is "stuck between 2 magnetic fields"?

"Stuck between 2 magnetic fields" refers to a situation where an object or particle is caught in the middle of two opposing magnetic forces.

2. How does being stuck between 2 magnetic fields affect an object or particle?

Being stuck between 2 magnetic fields can cause the object or particle to experience a force in one direction, depending on the strength and orientation of the two fields. This can result in the object being pulled towards one of the fields or being pushed away from both fields.

3. Can being stuck between 2 magnetic fields be dangerous?

In most cases, being stuck between 2 magnetic fields is not dangerous. However, if the fields are extremely strong or the object or particle is sensitive to magnetic forces, it could potentially cause damage or disruption.

4. How do scientists study and manipulate objects stuck between 2 magnetic fields?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as magnetic tweezers or magnetic traps, to study and manipulate objects stuck between 2 magnetic fields. These tools allow for precise control and measurement of magnetic forces on the object.

5. Are there any real-life applications for understanding objects stuck between 2 magnetic fields?

Yes, understanding and manipulating objects stuck between 2 magnetic fields has many practical applications, including in medical research, materials science, and electronics. For example, magnetic tweezers are used to study the behavior of biological molecules, and magnetic traps are used in technologies such as magnetic levitation trains.