How Does a Traveling Pulse Behave on a String?

In summary: In this case, it would be 0.0025 meters per second in the positive direction. In summary, the given equation represents the displacement of a pulse on a horizontal string, with x and y measured in meters. The velocity of propagation can be calculated by finding the change in x over the change in t, and the direction of motion can be determined by looking at the sign of the coefficient of t. The maximum displacement can be found by setting x and t equal to 0, and for a specific point in time and space, the displacement can be found by plugging in the given values of x and t. The particle velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the equation with respect to t, and plugging in the
Blairo28

Homework Statement

The displacement of a pulse traveling on a horizontal string is approximated by:

y(x,t) = 0.05/((1.5x - 3t)^2)+1

where x and y are measured by metres.

i) the velocity of propigation
ii) the direction of motion
iii) the maximum displacement
iv) the displacement at x = 4m after t = 2.5
v)the particle velocity (magnitude and direction) at x = 4 after 2.5s

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is slightly in understanding the question.
i) Well I think the velocity is given by the change in x over the change in t. Is that what is being asked? I am not sure.

ii) I think that the wave is going in the positive direction due to the negative in (1.5x - 3t) since I read that in the notes but that was using an equation that wasnt squared or having a value on top of it.

iii) Will the just be 0.05/1 so when x and t = 0.

iv) For this part I think I am just plugging those values into the equation right?

v) I am very unsure about this part.

Help with any parts would be appriciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I am a scientist and I can help you with this question.

i) Yes, the velocity of propagation can be calculated by finding the change in x over the change in t. In this case, it would be the coefficient of x (1.5) divided by the coefficient of t (3), which gives a velocity of 0.5 meters per second.

ii) The direction of motion can be determined by looking at the sign of the coefficient of t. Since it is negative (-3), the pulse is moving in the positive direction.

iii) The maximum displacement can be found by setting x and t equal to 0, which would give a maximum displacement of 1 meter.

iv) Yes, for this part, you can plug in the given values of x and t into the equation to find the displacement at that specific point in time and space.

v) To find the particle velocity at x=4 after 2.5 seconds, you can first calculate the derivative of the equation with respect to t. This would give you the expression for the particle velocity, which is 0.1/((1.5x - 3t)^3). Then, you can plug in the given values of x and t to find the magnitude and direction of the particle velocity at that point.

Related to How Does a Traveling Pulse Behave on a String?

What is a Travelling Pulse on a String?

A Travelling Pulse on a String is a phenomenon where a disturbance or pulse travels along a medium, such as a string, without any net movement of the medium itself. This can be seen when a string is plucked or disturbed at one end, causing a pulse to travel along the string to the other end.

What are the properties of a Travelling Pulse on a String?

The properties of a Travelling Pulse on a String include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the string from its equilibrium position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points with the same displacement. Frequency is the number of complete oscillations of the pulse per unit time, and speed is the rate at which the pulse travels along the string.

What factors affect the behaviour of a Travelling Pulse on a String?

The behaviour of a Travelling Pulse on a String can be affected by several factors, including tension, density, and length of the string. The greater the tension in the string, the faster the pulse will travel. The denser the string, the slower the pulse will travel. And the longer the string, the longer it will take for the pulse to travel from one end to the other.

What is the difference between a Travelling Pulse and a Standing Wave on a String?

A Travelling Pulse on a String is a single disturbance that travels along the medium, while a Standing Wave is a combination of two travelling pulses that interfere with each other to form a stationary pattern. In a Standing Wave, there are points called nodes where there is no displacement, and points called antinodes where the amplitude is maximum.

How is a Travelling Pulse on a String related to sound waves?

A Travelling Pulse on a String is similar to a sound wave in that both involve the transfer of energy through a medium without the medium itself being transported. Both also have properties such as amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. However, sound waves can travel through different mediums, while a Travelling Pulse on a String can only occur on a string or similar medium.