How Does a Toroidal Coil's Magnetic Field Interact with a Bar Magnet?

In summary, when a north pole of a bar magnet is inserted into a toroidal coil and moved, it induces an EMF in the coil which creates a circular magnetic field that opposes the initial magnetic field. However, the orthogonal components of the fields do not interact and the overall coil does not experience a net induction. Additionally, the magnetic field induced by the EMF is limited to the space enclosed by the loops of wire in the toroid. This means that when the bar magnet is moved through the middle of the toroid, the induced magnetic field will only be inside the toroid and will not oppose the initial field.
cscott
Say I've inserted a north pole of a bar magnet into a toroidal coil. When the bar is moving there will be an induced EMF in the coil which will lead to a magnetic field that opposes the initial magnetic field. From what I understand the B field in the toroidal coil is circular inside the coil. I don't see how to pick the B field in this coil so that it opposes the initial field due to the bar magnetic. Aren't they orthogonal to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? Can you describe the geometry a little better? (i.e., how do you insert the north pole into the toroid?)

It was part of a lab I did a while ago.

The north pole goes straight through the loop, like this:

[] <-N---S :-p

cscott said:
Say I've inserted a north pole of a bar magnet into a toroidal coil. When the bar is moving there will be an induced EMF in the coil which will lead to a magnetic field that opposes the initial magnetic field. From what I understand the B field in the toroidal coil is circular inside the coil. I don't see how to pick the B field in this coil so that it opposes the initial field due to the bar magnetic. Aren't they orthogonal to each other?

The orthogonal components do not interact. The only interaction is from the components of the bar magnet field that pierce the surface areas of the coils. Remember what the field near the end of a bar magnet looks like -- it is like a fountain, right? The lines of magnetic field are bending out and around, to return to the opposite pole.

Doesn't the same amount of lines go "left" as "right" when one pictures in the end of the north pole, so why is there an effect?

cscott said:
Doesn't the same amount of lines go "left" as "right" when one pictures in the end of the north pole, so why is there an effect?

Hmmm. Good point. I think that you're right. In a very symmetrical situation, there would be no net induction in the overall coil. If you think of a simplified geometry with just two turns, linked in series, with room to push the bar magnet through between them, and you measured the net voltage between the ends, I believe that the net would be zero as the bar magnet passed through between them.

I have been thinking over toroidal fields and from what I have found, the magnetic field in a toroid is limited to the space enclosed by the loops of the wire.

I am actually interested of the magnetic field that is on the surface of the toroid, and googling around I got to here..

So it seems to me, that when you move the bar magnet through the middle of the toroid, the induces EMF will create a magnetic field, but this magnetic field will be inside the toroid only, and it would not oppose the field that generated it on a first place.

What you guys think?

There is a weak field along the symmetry axis of a toroidal coil. If you shrink the toroidal cross-section to zero you are left with a loop (or loops) of wire about the symmetry axis.

Related to How Does a Toroidal Coil's Magnetic Field Interact with a Bar Magnet?

What is induction in a toroidal coil?

Induction in a toroidal coil is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the coil, according to Faraday's law of induction. This occurs because the changing magnetic field creates a changing electric field, which in turn causes an electric current to flow through the coil.

How does a toroidal coil produce a magnetic field?

A toroidal coil produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This current creates a magnetic field that is circular and concentric with the coil, rather than a linear field like in a straight wire.

What factors affect the strength of induction in a toroidal coil?

The strength of induction in a toroidal coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, the shape and size of the core, and the permeability of the core material. A larger number of turns, higher current, and higher permeability will result in a stronger induction.

How is induction in a toroidal coil used in practical applications?

Induction in toroidal coils is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in transformers, generators, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging systems, electromagnetic sensors, and magnetic levitation devices.

What are some advantages of using a toroidal coil for induction?

The use of a toroidal coil for induction offers several advantages, including a more concentrated magnetic field, less interference from external magnetic fields, and a more compact and efficient design. Toroidal coils also have a higher inductance compared to other coil shapes, making them useful for applications that require high inductance.