How Does a Time-Varying Force Affect Angular Momentum in a Dual-Radius Spool?

In summary, a spool of radius R1 and R2 (R2>R1) is kept on a horizontal surface. A force of f=2t N (where t is time) acts tangentially on the inner radius. The angular momentum of the system about the bottommost point of the spool is t^2(R1+R2). However, the given work is illegible and it is not clear if the pool is fixed or free to rotate and translate. Additionally, the calculation of linear acceleration ignores friction at the ground and it is not specified at what time the angular momentum is to be calculated.
Yash123

Homework Statement

ques1.jpg

a spool of radius R1 and R2 (R2>R1) is kept on hortizontal surface. A force f= 2t N (where t is time ) acts on the inner radius tagentially find the angular momentum of the system about the bottomost point of the spool.

Homework Equations

v=u+at
W=Wi+alpha(t)
L=IW+mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

sol1.jpg

but the answer is t^2(R1+R2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the pool fixed at the center or at the indicated point?

Let'sthink said:
Where is the pool fixed at the center or at the indicated point?
It's not fixed ...it's on the floor free to rotate and translate

Frankly, your work is illegible.

Nonetheless, could you give me the relation between ## \vec v## and ##\vec a##, and that between ##\vec α## and ##\vec ω##?

LemmeThink said:

Nonetheless, could you give me the relation between ## \vec v## and ##\vec a##, and that between ##\vec α## and ##\vec ω##?
LemmeThink said:

I solved it just used the wrong equations ...!

Yash123 said:
It's not fixed ...it's on the floor free to rotate and translate
but can you please solve iit jee paper 2 2016 rbd question

Yash123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 107579
a spool of radius R1 and R2 (R2>R1) is kept on hortizontal surface. A force f= 2t N (where t is time ) acts on the inner radius tagentially find the angular momentum of the system about the bottomost point of the spool.

Homework Equations

v=u+at
W=Wi+alpha(t)
L=IW+mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 107580
but the answer is t^2(R1+R2)
In your calculation of the linear acceleration you have ignored friction at the ground. Not sure if you did the same with the moments.
Please do not post working as images. Use images for diagrams and textbook extracts. Take the trouble to type in your algebra.

haruspex said:
In your calculation of the linear acceleration you have ignored friction at the ground. Not sure if you did the same with the moments.
Please do not post working as images. Use images for diagrams and textbook extracts. Take the trouble to type in your algebra.
I solved it

You say F = 2t what about direction? Then you want angular momentum at what time. If time varying force is acting neither the momentum nor angular momentum will be constant.

Likes Yash123
Let'sthink said:
You say F = 2t what about direction? Then you want angular momentum at what time. If time varying force is acting neither the momentum nor angular momentum will be constant.
Thanks for the reply but I solved it

Related to How Does a Time-Varying Force Affect Angular Momentum in a Dual-Radius Spool?

1. What is rotational angular momentum?

Rotational angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to resist changes in its rotational motion. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Rotational angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion. Rotational angular momentum depends on the object's moment of inertia, while linear momentum depends on the object's mass and velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating rotational angular momentum?

The equation for calculating rotational angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How is rotational angular momentum conserved?

Rotational angular momentum is conserved when there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system may change their angular momentum.

5. How is rotational angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Rotational angular momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as gyroscopes, spinning tops, and rotating machinery. It is also important in understanding the motions of planets and other celestial bodies in space.