How Does a Star's Diameter Change with Rotation Period?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a star that changes in size and rotation period. The question asks for the new diameter of the star assuming uniform density. The solution involves calculations for initial and final density, as well as the use of equations for volume and moment of inertia. It is important to note that the mass is constant and evenly distributed throughout the star. Converting units from days to seconds may also be necessary.
nnokwoodeye

Homework Statement

A star of mass 1.81×1031 kg and diameter 8.10E+9 m rotates with a period of 25.0 days. Suddenly the star changes size, and rotates with a new period of 18.0 days. Assuming a uniform density both before and after the size change, what is the new diameter of the star?

Homework Equations

Volume = 4/3*3.14*R^3
Density = M / VOL
I =2/5*M*R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

R(initial) = 8.10*10^9/2=4.05*0^9
Volume(initial) = 4/3*3.14*(4.05*10^9)^3=2.782*10^29
Density= (1.81*10^31/(2.782*10^29)=65.061
I(initial)=2/5*(1.81*10^31)*(4.05*10^9)^2=1.187*10^50
I(final)=2/5*65.061*4/3*3.14*Rf^3*Rf^2=109.01Rf^5
I(initial)*W(initial)=I(final)*W(final)
1.187*10^50*(2*3.14/25)=109.01*(2*3.14/18)*R(final)^5
R(final)^5=1.187*10^50*(2*3.14/25)/(109.01*[2*3.14/18])
R=(2.983*10^49/38.051)*10^(-5)=3.792*10^9
K=2R=7.58*10^9

the computer said that this answer is wrong and i don't know why

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nnokwoodeye! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

It's very difficult to read what you've done, but I think you're misreading the question …

the mass is constant, not the density …

the question isn't saying that density is the same before as after, only that the mass is always evenly distributed.

I did not do the calculations but I noticed the units you used for the period were days (as given in the problem); converting to seconds might also make a difference.

tiny-tim said:
Hi nnokwoodeye! :smile:

the question isn't saying that density is the same before as after, only that the mass is always evenly distributed.

o.k, so how do i calculate the new density? i need it to find the radius and solve the question.

to Gear300: you are right i forgot to convert the days to seconds, but it dosn't matter because i am using days in both side of the equation so the unit conversion would have been canceled out.

o.k. I succeeded in solving the question
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Related to How Does a Star's Diameter Change with Rotation Period?

1. What exactly is "star diameter"?

Star diameter refers to the physical size or diameter of a star. It is typically measured in terms of solar radii, which is the distance from the center of the star to its outer edge.

2. How is the diameter of a star determined?

The diameter of a star can be determined through various methods, such as direct imaging, spectroscopy, and interferometry. Direct imaging involves taking pictures of the star using powerful telescopes. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted by the star to determine its properties. Interferometry involves combining the light from multiple telescopes to create a more detailed image of the star.

3. What is the relationship between star diameter and momentum?

The momentum of a star is related to its mass, velocity, and direction of motion. However, the diameter of a star does not directly affect its momentum. Instead, the mass and velocity of the star play a larger role in determining its momentum.

4. How does the diameter of a star impact its lifespan?

The diameter of a star can have an impact on its lifespan. Larger stars have a shorter lifespan compared to smaller stars, as they burn through their fuel faster. This is because larger stars have a higher gravitational pull, causing them to burn through their fuel at a faster rate.

5. Can the diameter of a star change over time?

Yes, the diameter of a star can change over time. This is especially true for young stars, which are still forming and can increase in size as they accumulate more mass. As a star ages, its diameter may also change due to changes in its internal structure and nuclear fusion processes.