How Does a Small Offset in Metal Pieces Increase with Distance?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kabibble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a math problem regarding two pieces of metal that need to be bolted together. The smaller piece is off by .6mm and the speaker needs to know the measurement of this mistake when the larger piece is 420mm. Through calculations, it is determined that the mistake becomes 3.3mm when the larger piece is 420mm.
Kabibble
Hello all, sorry for the basic question but I suck at math and it's been many years since I had a course.

Anyway I've got two pieces of metal that bolt together and ideally are square and centered. However the pieces are not exactly square when bolted. The smaller piece is off by about .6mm. I need to know how big that mistake becomes further away from the center.

To put it into terms of a triangle where the first of two mounting holes is a point that is fixed: Side A is 76mm, side B (the second hole offset) is .6mm. So what would side B become if side A is now 420mm?

That's the first part of my question. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Divide 420 by 76

$$\frac{420}{76}\approx 5.5$$

So, multiply 0.6 with 5.5

$$0.6\cdot 5.5= 3.3$$

So side b is 3.3 mm

Related to How Does a Small Offset in Metal Pieces Increase with Distance?

1. What is the definition of a simple geometry problem?

A simple geometry problem is a math problem that involves basic geometric concepts such as lines, angles, shapes, and measurements. It usually requires the application of geometric principles to find a solution.

2. How do I solve a simple geometry problem?

To solve a simple geometry problem, first identify the given information and what needs to be found. Then, use the appropriate formulas and geometric principles to solve for the unknown quantity. Make sure to label and show all steps in your solution.

3. Can you give an example of a simple geometry problem?

One example of a simple geometry problem is finding the area of a square with a side length of 5 cm. The formula for the area of a square is A = s^2, where s is the side length. So, in this problem, the area would be A = 5^2 = 25 cm^2.

4. What are the most common geometric principles used in simple geometry problems?

The most common geometric principles used in simple geometry problems are the Pythagorean Theorem, the properties of angles and triangles, and the formulas for finding the perimeter, area, and volume of basic shapes such as squares, rectangles, triangles, and circles.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving simple geometry problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving simple geometry problems is through practice. Start with basic problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also use online resources, textbooks, and study guides to learn new concepts and strategies for solving geometry problems.