How does a rod rotate due to gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of a uniform, symmetric rod around an axis and the question of why it falls and rotates. The person's intuition suggests that the torques from each side should cancel out due to symmetry, but this does not happen. They then discuss a personal experiment with a pencil to try and understand the concept. Another person agrees with the first person's reasoning and suggests a more careful test to fully understand the concept. The conversation concludes with the explanation that the offset of the pivot point on the finger can cause the pencil to rotate downwards.
HoodedFreak

Homework Statement

Imagine a uniform, symmetric rod, free to rotate around an axis going into the computer screen through the center of the rod. Now say that we start off the rod so that it is not horizontal or vertical, but somewhere in between. My intuition tells me that the rod will start to fall and rotate, but why does this happen? Isn't it true that by symmetry, if there is torque exerted by a particle of the rod on one side due to the force of gravity, an equal and opposite torque would be exerted by the particle the same distance on the other side of the rod, so the rod should stay stationary. But I know this isn't the case, so where am I going wrong here?

Homework Equations

T = r*l

where r is distance and l is the lever arm

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached a diagram of the situation as I see it.

Attachments

• Physics problem.png
    Physics problem.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
HoodedFreak said:
My intuition tells me that the rod will start to fall and rotate
Perhaps your intuition is wrong.

Likes HoodedFreak
Doc Al said:
Perhaps your intuition is wrong.

Is my intuition wrong? I mean, for example if I take my pencil and hold it between my fingers as close as I can to the middle the higher end starts to rotate downwards, maybe that's because the pencil is slightly unbalanced or I am not not holding the pencil exactly in the middle.

Conservation laws?

HoodedFreak said:
Is my intuition wrong?
I'd say it was. I agree with your reasoning in your first post; the torques from each side will cancel.

HoodedFreak said:
I mean, for example if I take my pencil and hold it between my fingers as close as I can to the middle the higher end starts to rotate downwards, maybe that's because the pencil is slightly unbalanced or I am not not holding the pencil exactly in the middle.
You'll have to arrange a more careful test.

Likes HoodedFreak
Doc Al said:
I'd say it was. I agree with your reasoning in your first post; the torques from each side will cancel.You'll have to arrange a more careful test.
Well mystery solved, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks

HoodedFreak said:
Is my intuition wrong? I mean, for example if I take my pencil and hold it between my fingers as close as I can to the middle the higher end starts to rotate downwards, maybe that's because the pencil is slightly unbalanced or I am not not holding the pencil exactly in the middle.

That's the obvious answer. If you are balancing the pencil on one finger be aware that fingers are round so the pivot point can move as the pencil rotates around it. I suspect it starts offset to the lower side.

Related to How does a rod rotate due to gravity?

1. How does gravity cause a rod to rotate?

Gravity causes a rod to rotate by exerting a force on the rod's center of mass, causing it to rotate around a fixed axis.

2. What factors affect the rotation of a rod due to gravity?

The rotation of a rod due to gravity is affected by the mass and length of the rod, the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation, and the strength of the gravitational force.

3. Can a rod rotate due to gravity on a frictionless surface?

Yes, a rod can rotate due to gravity on a frictionless surface as long as there is a force of gravity acting on it and a fixed axis of rotation.

4. How does the angle of the rod affect its rotation due to gravity?

The angle of the rod relative to the direction of gravity affects the torque, or rotational force, exerted on the rod. The greater the angle, the greater the torque and thus the greater the rotation.

5. Is the rotation of a rod due to gravity affected by the rod's shape?

Yes, the shape of a rod can affect its rotation due to gravity. For example, a rod with a larger surface area perpendicular to the direction of gravity will experience more air resistance and thus have a slower rotation compared to a rod with a smaller surface area.