How Does a Mixed Quantum State Relate to Bloch Sphere Representation?

In summary, the reduced density matrix ##\rho_A## is given by the sum of the 2\otimes 2 identity matrix and the spin operator matrix, and the Bloch vector representation for a state that is 50% ##|0 \rangle## and 50% ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0 \rangle + |1 \rangle)## can be found by expressing the density matrix in terms of the basis matrices and using their orthogonality to determine the components of the Bloch vector.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

What is reduced density matrix ##\rho_A## and the Bloch vector representation for a state that is 50% ##|0 \rangle## and 50% ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0 \rangle + |1 \rangle)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I haven't seen many (any?) examples of this so I'm trying to feel my way through it. So first matrix should be
##\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}##
and the second:
##\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##
Both have a 50% chance so ##\frac{1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}+\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}##
Giving:
##\rho_A=\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{3}{4} & \frac{1}{4} \\
\frac{1}{4} & \frac{1}{4}
\end{bmatrix}##

I think this is correct.

I'm not sure about the Bloch sphere portion. Can anyone give me some direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look up the Bloch vector representation of spin-1/2 systems. In short, any
bowlbase said:

Homework Statement

What is reduced density matrix ##\rho_A## and the Bloch vector representation for a state that is 50% ##|0 \rangle## and 50% ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0 \rangle + |1 \rangle)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I haven't seen many (any?) examples of this so I'm trying to feel my way through it. So first matrix should be
##\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}##
and the second:
##\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##
Both have a 50% chance so ##\frac{1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}+\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}##
Giving:
##\rho_A=\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{3}{4} & \frac{1}{4} \\
\frac{1}{4} & \frac{1}{4}
\end{bmatrix}##

I think this is correct.

I'm not sure about the Bloch sphere portion. Can anyone give me some direction?

Any [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] matrix can be expressed as a sum over the 4 basis matrices [itex]I,\sigma_{x},\sigma_{y}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{z}[/itex]. For convenience, we'll define [itex]\sigma_{0}=I[/itex] as the [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] identity matrix.

These matrices form an orthogonal basis with the inner product between two matrices defined as the trace of the product of the two matrices:
[itex]Tr[\sigma_{i}\sigma_{j}]=2\delta_{ij}[/itex]

As an example, we can have a [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] matrix [itex]A[/itex] expressed as
[itex]A=a_{0} \sigma_{0} +a_{1}\sigma_{x}+a_{2}\sigma_{y}+a_{3}\sigma_{z}[/itex]

We can use the orthogonality of the basis matrices to find [itex]a_{0}[/itex] through [itex]a_{3}[/itex].

For example:
[itex]a_{2}= \frac{Tr[A\sigma_{2}]}{Tr[\sigma_{2}\sigma_{2}]}[/itex]

Now for a density matrix, [itex]A=\rho[/itex], and [itex](a_{1},a_{2},a_{3})[/itex] form a vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] on the Bloch sphere. Once you know the components of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], you will have the Bloch vector of the spin-1/2 system.

Related to How Does a Mixed Quantum State Relate to Bloch Sphere Representation?

1. What is a Bloch sphere?

A Bloch sphere is a geometrical representation of the quantum state of a qubit, a fundamental unit of quantum information. It is a unit sphere with the north and south poles representing the two basis states of a qubit, and any point on the sphere representing a possible quantum state in between.

2. What are mixed states in quantum mechanics?

Mixed states are quantum states that cannot be described by a single pure state, but rather as a combination of multiple pure states with different probabilities. This is in contrast to pure states, which can be described by a single quantum state with a probability of 1.

3. How are mixed states represented on the Bloch sphere?

Mixed states are represented as points inside the Bloch sphere, rather than on its surface like pure states. The distance of the point from the center of the sphere represents the degree of purity, with pure states being at the surface and maximally mixed states at the center.

4. What is the difference between a Bloch vector and a Bloch sphere?

A Bloch vector is a mathematical representation of a quantum state, while a Bloch sphere is a graphical representation of a Bloch vector. The Bloch vector contains information about the amplitude and phase of a quantum state, while the Bloch sphere provides a visual representation of this information.

5. How are Bloch spheres and mixed states used in quantum computing?

Bloch spheres and mixed states are used in quantum computing to represent and manipulate the quantum states of qubits. Mixed states allow for more flexible and complex quantum operations, while Bloch spheres provide a visual aid for understanding and analyzing these operations.