How Does a Magnetic Field Affect Electron Spin Over Time?

In summary, the time evolution of spin state is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of a particle changes over time. It can be measured using techniques such as NMR and ESR and has significant implications in fields such as quantum computing and MRI. It can be predicted using mathematical models, but the exact outcome of a spin measurement cannot be determined due to the randomness of quantum mechanics. It is closely related to quantum entanglement, where the spin states of particles become correlated.
noospace

Homework Statement

An +x-polarized electron beam is subjected to magnetic field in the y-direction. What is the probablity of measuring spin +x after a period of time t.

Homework Equations

Time evolution operator [itex]U = e^{-i/\hbar \hat{H} t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the magnetic field is in the y-direction, the corresponding Hamiltonian is of the form [itex]\hat{H} = - \gamma B_0 \hat{S}_y [/itex]. The energy eigenvalues of this are just [itex]-\gamma B_0[/itex] times the eigenvalues for the Spin-y operator, ie [itex]\pm \frac{\gamma B_0 \hbar}{2}[/itex] where [itex]|S_y ; + \rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-i,1)^T, |S_y,- \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(i,1)[/itex].

[itex]|S_x;+ \rangle = 2\left(\frac{1+i}{4}|S_y;+ \rangle + \frac{1-i}{4}|S_y;-\rangle\right)[/itex]

so the time evolved state vector is

[itex]|S_x;+ \rangle = 2\left(\frac{1+i}{4} e^{i t\gamma B_0 \hbar/2}|S_y;+ \rangle + \frac{1-i}{4}e^{-i t\gamma B_0 \hbar/2}|S_y;-\rangle\right)[/itex]

[itex]|S_x;+ \rangle = \cos (t \gamma B_0 \hbar/2)2\left(\frac{1+i}{4} |S_y;+ \rangle + \frac{1-i}{4}|S_y;-\rangle\right)+ i\sin(t \gamma B_0 \hbar/2)2\left(\frac{1+i}{4} |S_y;+ \rangle -\frac{1-i}{4}|S_y;-\rangle\right) [/itex]

so the probability is

[itex]\cos^2 (t \gamma B_0 \hbar/2)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am always happy to help with any inquiries related to physics.

To answer your question, the probability of measuring spin +x after a period of time t can be calculated using the formula \cos^2 (t \gamma B_0 \hbar/2). This is derived from the time evolution operator U = e^{-i/\hbar \hat{H} t}, where the Hamiltonian \hat{H} = - \gamma B_0 \hat{S}_y represents the magnetic field in the y-direction.

By using the energy eigenvalues for the Spin-y operator, we can determine the time evolved state vector |S_x;+ \rangle and ultimately calculate the probability of measuring spin +x after time t.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries or need clarification on any of the calculations. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

Related to How Does a Magnetic Field Affect Electron Spin Over Time?

1. What is the time evolution of spin state?

The time evolution of spin state is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of a particle changes over time. This change is described by the Schrödinger equation and can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields.

2. How is time evolution of spin state measured?

The time evolution of spin state can be measured using various techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron spin resonance (ESR). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field and measuring the resulting changes in the spin of the particle.

3. What is the significance of time evolution of spin state?

The time evolution of spin state has important implications in various fields such as quantum computing, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and materials science. It allows for the manipulation and control of spin states, which is crucial for these applications.

4. Can the time evolution of spin state be predicted?

Yes, the time evolution of spin state can be predicted using mathematical models such as the Schrödinger equation. However, due to the inherent randomness of quantum mechanics, the exact outcome of a spin measurement cannot be predicted, only the probabilities of different outcomes.

5. How does the time evolution of spin state relate to quantum entanglement?

The time evolution of spin state is closely related to quantum entanglement, where the spin states of two or more particles become correlated. The time evolution of one particle's spin state can affect the spin state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them, showing the non-local nature of quantum entanglement.