How does a linear accelerator produce X-rays?

In summary, a linear particle accelerator produces x-rays by shooting energetic electrons at a target and then slowing them down quickly.
Spacec0wboy
Hi all,

I am new to the forums, so try to persevere with my general lack of knowledge. I am a student at high school and we have just recently been studying a unit in nuclear and atomic physics. I understand all the basic concepts such as the photoelectric effect, Planck's constant, electron shells of atoms (we focused on the Bohr model), nuclear fission, fusion and binding energy, as well as having a general grasp when it comes to radiation types like alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, x-rays etc.

I currently have an assignment task where we have been asked to evaluate the protection methods used in a medical or industrial application of radiation. For my assignment I chose radiotherapy, which involves treating cancer with x-rays. I have been doing some reading on the internet related to this topic and discovered that a linear particle accelerator is responsible for generating the x-rays used in therapy. Part of the criteria for the assignment specifies that the physics behind the application must be explained in detail, meaning that I have to be able to explain how a linear accelerator works on a particle scale. I have scoured the internet for a few hours, and have come up empty handed. Every site I have visited has explained that linear accelerators are used to treat cancers, but none of them go into detail about the physics behind it, which is the information that I need. So, basically what I'm asking is, how exactly does a linear particle accelerator produce X-rays? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you could provide any information you referred to in order to answer my question, including diagrams etc that would also be helpful. Also please try to keep the explanations as simple as possible, as I am still a physics newbie.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The main mechanism for x-ray production in such medical linear accelerator is the process called Bremsstrahlung, or breaking radiation. The energetic electrons that have been accelerated are then shot at a target (typically tungsten). These relativistic electrons then are slowed down very quickly. This deceleration (or breaking) of the electrons generate EM radiation. How quickly it stops will dictate the type of radiation you get, and for relativistic electrons, this will produce x-rays.

This link has more of this description in greater detail:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DliKdTg8GHQC&pg=PA269&lpg=PA269#v=onepage&q&f=false

Zz.

Related to How does a linear accelerator produce X-rays?

1. How does a linear accelerator produce X-rays?

A linear accelerator, also known as a linac, produces X-rays by accelerating electrons to high energies and then directing them onto a target material. The high-speed electrons collide with the target material, causing the release of X-rays. This process is known as bremsstrahlung radiation and is the main method for producing X-rays in a linear accelerator.

2. What is the role of the electron gun in a linear accelerator?

The electron gun in a linear accelerator is responsible for creating a beam of electrons. It typically consists of a cathode, which emits electrons, and an anode, which accelerates the electrons. The electron gun is the first stage of the accelerator and is crucial in producing the high-energy electrons needed for X-ray production.

3. How are the electrons accelerated in a linear accelerator?

The electrons are accelerated in a linear accelerator using a series of electric fields. The electrons are first given a small boost of energy in the electron gun and then enter a series of accelerating structures. These structures are made up of metal cavities that create strong electric fields to accelerate the electrons to higher and higher energies.

4. What are the different types of targets used in a linear accelerator for X-ray production?

The most commonly used targets in a linear accelerator for X-ray production are tungsten and copper. Tungsten is often used for high-energy X-rays, while copper is used for lower-energy X-rays. Other materials such as molybdenum, rhodium, and gold may also be used as targets for specific applications.

5. How is the quality of the X-rays produced by a linear accelerator controlled?

The quality of the X-rays produced by a linear accelerator is controlled by adjusting the energy of the electrons and the type of target material used. The energy of the electrons is controlled by varying the electric field strength in the accelerating structures, while the target material can be changed to produce X-rays of different energies. Additionally, filters and collimators can be used to further control the quality of the X-rays produced.