How Does a Heat Engine's Efficiency Impact Its Exhaust Heat Rate?

In summary, a heat engine with an efficiency of 60% compared to a Carnot engine operates between 40°C and 380°C and absorbs heat at a rate of 60 kW. Its exhaust rate is calculated to be 41.3 kW or 41.3 kJ/s. This is based on the equations for Carnot efficiency and efficiency, and converting temperatures to Kelvins.
mlostrac

Homework Statement

A heat engine operates between 40°C and 380°C. Being a real engine, its
efficiency is only 60% of that theoretically possible for a Carnot engine at these
temperatures. If it absorbs heat at a rate of 60 kW, at what rate does it exhaust
heat?

Homework Equations

e = 1 - TL/TH --> Carnot Efficiency
e = 1 - QL/QH --> Efficiency

The Attempt at a Solution

1) First I changed the temperatures to Kelvins, then I calculated the Carnot efficiency:

e = 1 - (313/657)
= 1 - 0.48
= 0.52

2) Then I determined the actual efficiency to be:

0.52 x 0.60 = 0.31 or 31%

3) Finally I plugged in the efficiency in 2 to the 2nd equation above:

0.31 = 1 - (QL/60 kW)
60(0.31) = 60 - QL
18.72 = 60 - QL
QL = 41.3 kW

So therefore the engine exhausts heat at 41.3 kW or 41.3 kJ/s. I think I did this right, but I'm the type of guy who always manages to forget something or other.

Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that looks right to me.

Related to How Does a Heat Engine's Efficiency Impact Its Exhaust Heat Rate?

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical energy. It typically uses a fuel source to generate heat, which is then used to produce motion or work.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in heat from a high temperature source, such as burning fuel, and using that energy to do work. The heat is converted into mechanical energy, which can be used for tasks such as powering a car or generating electricity.

3. What is exhaust heat?

Exhaust heat, also known as waste heat, is the excess heat that is produced during the operation of a heat engine. This heat is typically released into the environment through the exhaust system of a vehicle or machinery.

4. How is exhaust heat used?

Exhaust heat can be used in various ways, such as heating buildings or water, powering turbines to generate electricity, or even to preheat the air or fuel in a heat engine, making it more efficient.

5. What are the advantages of using exhaust heat?

The use of exhaust heat can help to reduce energy consumption and emissions, as it utilizes heat that would otherwise be wasted. It can also improve the overall efficiency of a heat engine, leading to cost savings and environmental benefits.