How Does a Density Matrix Represent Quantum Averages?

In summary, the homework statement is that the most general observable is a density matrix. It has the form \rho=\sum_{n}p_n |n\rangle\langle n|, where p_n is a classical probability distribution and |n\rangle\langle n| are projection operators that are not necessarily orthogonal. The ensemble average of an operator, O, is an ensemble of states described by a density matrix \rho. Physically, this is the average of a number of measurements of O in a classical probability distribution of different states. In order to solve the problem, the student needs help understanding how to compute the density matrix with respect to the Sz eigenbasis. They
jfy4
I'm really excited to get this as a homework problem. I have wanted to feel good about this formalism is quantum mechanics for a while now but my own stupidity has been getting in the way... With this homework problem hopefully I can move on to a new level.

Homework Statement

The most general observable is a density matrix. Generally it is a non-negative self-adjoint operator with trace 1. It has the general form
[tex]
\rho=\sum_{n}p_n |n\rangle\langle n|
[/tex]

where [itex]p_n[/itex] is a classical probability distribution ([itex]\sum_{n} p_n=1,\; 0\leq p_n \leq 1[/itex]) and [itex]|n\rangle\langle n|[/itex] are projection operators that are not necessarily orthogonal. [itex]\rho[/itex] represents a classical statistical ensemble of quantum states where the state [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] appears with probability [itex]p_n[/itex]. The ensemble average of an operator [itex]O[/itex] is an ensemble of states described by a density matrix [itex]\rho[/itex] is
[tex]
\langle O \rangle_{\rho}=\mathbf{Tr}(O\rho )
[/tex]
Physically this is the average of a number of measurements of [itex]O[/itex] in a classical probability distribution of different states. Consider a polarized beam of protons where 30% of the protons have spin up in the x-direction and 70% have spin down in the z direction. Find the density matrix for this ensemble and compute the ensemble average of [itex]s_z[/itex] in this ensemble of protons.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\mathbb{I}=\sum_{n}|n\rangle\langle n|
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the density matrix like this
[tex]
\rho=\frac{3}{10}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \langle \uparrow_{x} |+\frac{7}{10}|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |
[/tex]
and with
[tex]
s_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Then
[tex]
\langle s_z\rangle_{\rho}=\mathbf{Tr}\left[\frac{3}{10}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \langle \uparrow_{x} |+\frac{7}{10}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |\right]
[/tex]
Now I need help with how to compute the above...

May I have some help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding the matrix representing the density operator with respect to the Sz eigenbasis.

Well, here what I think I know...
[tex]
\mathbb{I}=|\uparrow_{z}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{z}|+|\downarrow_{z}\rangle \langle \downarrow_{z} |
[/tex]
so
[tex]
\begin{align}
|\uparrow_{x}\rangle &=|\uparrow_{z}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{z}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle+|\downarrow_{z} \rangle \langle \downarrow_{z}|\uparrow_{x}\rangle \\
&= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
|\uparrow_{x}\rangle\langle \uparrow_{x}|=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Does that look right?

Minor correction:
[tex]\lvert \uparrow_{x} \rangle \langle \uparrow_{x}\rvert = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Thank you,

Then
[tex]
\begin{align}
\rho &=\frac{3}{20}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}+\frac{7}{10}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \\
&=\frac{1}{20}\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 3 \\ 3 & 17 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align}
[/tex]
Then
[tex]
\begin{align}
s_z \cdot \rho &=\frac{\hbar}{2}\frac{1}{20}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}3 & 3 \\ 3 & 17 \end{pmatrix} \\
&=\frac{\hbar}{40}\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 3 \\ -3 & -17 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align}
[/tex]
So
[tex]
\mathbf{Tr}(s_z\cdot\rho)=-\frac{7\hbar}{20}
[/tex]

Does this look good?

Yes, looks good.

Thanks for your help.

Related to How Does a Density Matrix Represent Quantum Averages?

1. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix, also known as a density operator, is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum mechanical system. It contains information about the probabilities of different states of the system, and can be used to calculate the average values of observables.

2. How is a density matrix constructed?

A density matrix is typically constructed by taking the outer product of a ket and a bra vector. The ket vector represents the state of the system, and the bra vector represents the conjugate transpose of the ket. The resulting matrix is Hermitian, with non-negative eigenvalues that sum to 1.

3. What is the significance of the trace of a density matrix?

The trace of a density matrix is equal to 1, which represents the probability of the system being in any possible state. It also allows for the calculation of the average value of an observable through the trace of the product of the density matrix and the observable.

4. How are averages calculated from a density matrix?

The average value of an observable can be calculated using the trace of the product of the density matrix and the observable. This is also known as the expectation value, and it represents the expected outcome if the observable was measured on the system multiple times.

5. What is the relationship between the density matrix and quantum entanglement?

A density matrix can be used to describe the state of a system that is entangled. In this case, the density matrix cannot be written as a simple product of individual states, and it contains information about the correlations between entangled particles.