How Does a Cone's Voltage Affect the Electric Field Near a Grounded Plane?

Keep in mind that the voltage of 100V and the angle of 10 degrees will affect the solution. Additionally, there may be a dependence on $r$ due to the finite height of the cone.
Xyius
The problem gives a cone above a conducting grounded plane. (The xy plane) The cone has a voltage of 100V on it. It wants me to find the electric field between the cone and the plane.

The angle the cone makes with the z axis is 10 degrees. And it is at a height of "h".

So my method for attacking this problem is to use Laplace's Equation in Spherical coordinates. Here is my work.. (I hope you can read my hand writing!)

http://imageshack.us/a/img211/1927/coneproblem.jpg

My question is, is what I have so far correct? And is this the correct approach? Also, how would I go about solving for B_n?? I know that the Legendre Polynomials are orthogonal but what confuses me is, I need to plug in theta=10° into them, thus making them a constant. That leaves me with a function of just r^-(n+1) which (to my knowledge) is not orthogonal.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Unless there is no "r" dependence either. This would make the problem much easier! But since the cone had a finite height, wouldn't there be an r" dependence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your approach is correct. To solve for $B_n$, you need to use the orthogonality of the Legendre polynomials. In particular, you can use the orthogonality relation:$$ \int_{-1}^1 P_n (\cos \theta) P_m (\cos \theta) \, d(\cos \theta) = \delta_{nm} $$where $\delta_{nm}$ is the Kronecker delta function. This will allow you to solve for $B_n$ by integrating over the angle $\theta$.

Related to How Does a Cone's Voltage Affect the Electric Field Near a Grounded Plane?

1. What is "Electric Field from a Cone"?

"Electric Field from a Cone" refers to the electric field that is generated by a cone-shaped object. This electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle placed in the vicinity of the cone.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a cone-shaped object?

The electric field from a cone can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the cone, and r is the distance from the cone to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. How does the electric field from a cone vary with distance?

The electric field from a cone follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with distance from the cone. As the distance from the cone increases, the electric field strength decreases at a rate proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field from a cone?

The strength of the electric field from a cone is affected by the charge of the cone, the distance from the cone, and the dielectric constant of the medium surrounding the cone. A higher charge or a smaller distance will result in a stronger electric field, while a higher dielectric constant will weaken the electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field from a cone?

The electric field from a cone has various applications in different fields such as electrostatic precipitators, particle accelerators, and electrostatic painting. It is also used in engineering and design of high-voltage equipment and in the study of electric fields in atmospheric phenomena such as lightning.