How does a cathode ray eject inner orbital electrons?

In summary, cathode rays, as mentioned in both chemistry and physics textbooks, are known to have the ability to excite or eject electrons from an atom through processes like dielectric breakdown and x-ray spectroscopy. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it is possible for a stream of negatively charged electrons to pull other negatively charged electrons away from an atom. This is due to the high energy of the cathode rays, which can disturb the electrons in various ways.
joebobjoe
(Since this is a coursework question and not a homework question, I deleted the template)

Both my chemistry and physics textbooks cite cathode rays as having the ability to excite or eject electrons from an atom (e.g., dielectric breakdown, x-ray spectroscopy). How can a stream of negatively charged electrons pull other negatively charged electrons away from an atom? This seems counter-intuitive to me. Any explanations would be helpful.

P.S.: I've already checked Wikipedia and Google.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think they can't push them away from the atom? Why do they have to 'pull'? If they have enough energy they can disturb them in one way or another.

Related to How does a cathode ray eject inner orbital electrons?

1. What is a cathode ray?

A cathode ray is a stream of electrons that is emitted from the negative electrode (cathode) in a vacuum tube or cathode ray tube.

2. How does a cathode ray eject inner orbital electrons?

The cathode ray contains high energy electrons that collide with the inner orbital electrons of atoms in the material of the cathode. This collision causes the inner orbital electrons to be ejected from the atom.

3. What is the significance of ejecting inner orbital electrons?

Ejecting inner orbital electrons can cause the material of the cathode to become positively charged, which can lead to the emission of more electrons from the cathode. This process is the basis for creating images on a cathode ray tube and is also used in various electronic devices.

4. How is the cathode ray controlled?

The cathode ray can be controlled by applying a voltage to the cathode, which accelerates the electrons and determines the speed and direction of the ray. Magnets can also be used to deflect the cathode ray and control its path.

5. Is the cathode ray used in any other applications besides cathode ray tubes?

Yes, the cathode ray is also used in other electronic devices such as electron microscopes, television screens, and computer monitors.