How does a car's temperature probe accurately measure outside temperature?

In summary, the temperature gauge in a car is accurate even if the car is parked in the sun for a long time. The temperature gauge is designed to not change unless the temperature stays high for an extended period of time.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have a display in my car that registers outside temperature. It seems to be accurate even in the most adverse circumstances, such as when parked in a parking lot in the sun for a long time. I feel the temperature standing there well over the hundreds, yet the temp gauge does not seem to be fooled by this.

I would think that thermal conduction and radiation of heat in the vicinity of any probe (such as the heat built up inside my car, which apparently can go over 150 degrees, or the heat rising off the pavement all around my car) would make the probe's temperature reading skyrocket.

How are they designed so that they give accurate readings?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of car do you have? I remember back in my days at Honda we actually had problems with ours. I believe that ours were somewhere under the rear bumper. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few claims where the temp would act erratically. I think the secret is in the coding though, and not the design. I remember reading the logic flow for ours, and it was something like even if you were stopped at a light, and heat from the exhaust was pounding down on the sensor, the reading wouldn't change unless that temperature stayed high for an extended period of time. Then, when you actually started moving, the temp drops back to ambient temp and the "counter" resets.

Well, I have a Chrysler 300M, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Usually they are mounted up front to catch the wind. They haven't always been that way though on certain models. Some will not move off of the previous reading unless the vehicle is moving greater than 25 MPH to prevent heat from the engine and radiator from giving false readings.

Related to How does a car's temperature probe accurately measure outside temperature?

1. How does a temperature probe work in my car?

A temperature probe in a car works by measuring the temperature of the coolant or engine oil. It is usually located near the engine and uses a sensor to detect the temperature and send the information to the car's computer. This helps the computer regulate the engine and maintain a safe temperature for optimal performance.

2. Why is it important to have a temperature probe in my car?

A temperature probe is important because it helps monitor the temperature of the engine and prevent it from overheating. This can help prevent damage to the engine and ensure that the car runs smoothly. It also helps the car's computer regulate fuel consumption and emissions based on the engine temperature.

3. How can I tell if my temperature probe is not working properly?

If your temperature probe is not working properly, you may notice your car overheating, fluctuating temperature gauge readings, or warning lights on your dashboard. You may also experience a decrease in performance or strange noises coming from the engine. It is important to have your car checked by a mechanic if you suspect an issue with your temperature probe.

4. Can a faulty temperature probe cause other issues in my car?

Yes, a faulty temperature probe can cause other issues in your car. If the probe is not accurately measuring the temperature, it can lead to incorrect readings and cause the engine to overheat or perform poorly. It can also affect the car's fuel efficiency and emissions control.

5. How often should I have my temperature probe checked?

It is recommended to have your temperature probe checked during routine car maintenance, such as an oil change or tune-up. However, if you notice any issues with your car's performance or temperature, it is important to have it checked by a mechanic as soon as possible to prevent further damage.