How Does a Bowling Ball's Speed Change Down an Incline?

In summary, this conversation discusses the translational speed of a 30kg bowling ball with a radius of 11 cm rolling down a 1.5m incline. The solution involves using the conservation of energy equation and understanding the difference between rotational and ordinary kinetic energy. The resulting formula is mgh=2/10mrv^2, where v represents the translational speed. The concept of translational speed is clarified as simply the speed of the centre of mass.
BoldKnight399
A 30kg bowling ball with a radius of 11 cm starts from rest at the top of an incline 1.5m in height. Find the translational speed of the bowling ball after it has rolled to the bottom of the incline. (assume that the ball is a uniform solid sphere) acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s^2. Answer in units of m/s. (I=2/5mr^2)
so I was thinking of treating this as a simple conservation of energy question, just substituting I and w for kinetic energy.
mgh=1/2Iw^2
mgh=1/2(2/5mr^2)(v/r)^2
so:
mgh=2/10mrv^2

I think that this works, but to be honest, I don't understand what translational speed is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BoldKnight399! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
BoldKnight399 said:
… I was thinking of treating this as a simple conservation of energy question, just substituting I and w for kinetic energy.
mgh=1/2Iw^2
mgh=1/2(2/5mr^2)(v/r)^2

No, KE of a rotating object is rotational KE plus ordinary KE (ie as if all the mass was moving with the velocity of the centre of mass) …

1/2 Iω2 + 1/2 mv2 :wink:

(And translational speed or velocity is simply the speed or velocity of the centre of mass)

Related to How Does a Bowling Ball's Speed Change Down an Incline?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy an object has?

The amount of kinetic energy an object has is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and/or velocity of an object, the more kinetic energy it will have.

4. What is torque and how does it relate to kinetic energy?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. Torque and kinetic energy are related in that torque can be used to change an object's rotational kinetic energy.

5. How is kinetic energy and torque used in real-world applications?

Kinetic energy and torque are commonly used in engineering and physics to design and analyze machines and structures. They are also used in sports and transportation, such as calculating the speed and energy of a moving car or the torque needed to spin a bicycle wheel.