How Does a Battery Charger Work and What Causes Overcharging?

In summary, the conversation discusses various types of battery charging and the confusion surrounding overcharging and supplying too much current to a battery. The speaker also questions the process of charging a battery and whether the charger supplies or draws current. The response explains that the amount of charging current depends on the difference between the charging voltage and battery voltage, and there are different types of chargers for different batteries. The speaker also mentions the difficulty in accurately measuring when a battery is fully charged and suggests using a method involving a momentary load to determine the internal resistance of the battery. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities involved in charging a battery and the importance of understanding the different factors involved.
maximiliano
I'm thinking about all types of charging (LiIon, lead acid, etc.). I get the basics...but would really enjoy more info on the subject.

Also...one thing that confuses me is how you can "overcharge" a battery...and how you can supply too much current (amps) to the battery. Since its generally said that current is DRAWN based on need, why does the battery itself not dictate the current requirement? My assumption has always been that the charger itself both supplies and draws current at the same time? Still, more info would be helpful.

I bought a charger for my phone. It supplies 4.75v and a max of 2 amps. I am always wondering if that means it IS pushing 9.5 watts into the battery...or if that means IF the battery calls for it. I ask because the "stock" charger for this phone battery is 5v and 1.0 amp, thus 5 watts. Does this mean I'm actually pumping 9.5 watts in or does it mean that the battery COULD draw that much, but probably isn't? Can anyone help me get the process of charging a battery clear in my head?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The battery simply obeys Ohm's law in that the current is dependent on the difference between the charging voltage and the battery voltage divided by the battery's (and charger's) internal resistance. As a battery charges, its voltage rises and its internal resistance drops changing the amount of charging current. There are many ways of charging a battery. There are constant voltage chargers and also constant current chargers among others.

The charger at 4.5V and 2A may charge your battery faster, at least until it gets close to full charge depending upon how much charging current the battery can accept. Limiting the voltage to 4.5V may also help prevent overcharging. No, those values do not mean you are pumping that much power into your battery.

I'm not an expert on batteries and it's been decades since I've done any research on it, but from what I remember, one of the things that happens when some batteries reach full charge is that oxygen bubbles form on the anode which increases the pressure inside the battery. Since oxygen doesn't conduct, the bubbles reduce the surface area of the anode available for conduction so the internal resistance goes up and if charging is continued at the same current, the temperature of the battery rises substantially.

Both of these conditions are difficult for the charger to to accurately measure so it is difficult to determine exactly when the battery is fully charged. One method I've heard about is to put a momentary load across the battery as it is charging and measure the voltage drop of the battery which indicates its internal resistance. When the internal resistance drops to the specified value, the charging is terminated.

I'm sure this explanation doesn't apply to all batteries but it helps to illustrate some of the problems in building a good battery charger.

Last edited:

Related to How Does a Battery Charger Work and What Causes Overcharging?

1. How does a battery charger work?

A battery charger works by converting AC (alternating current) electrical energy from a power source, such as an outlet, into DC (direct current) energy that can be stored in a battery. This process involves regulating the flow of electricity to the battery and monitoring its voltage and current levels.

2. What are the different types of battery chargers?

There are several types of battery chargers, including trickle chargers, fast chargers, smart chargers, and solar chargers. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, and they are designed for different types of batteries and intended usage.

3. How long does it take for a battery to fully charge?

The time it takes for a battery to fully charge depends on several factors, including the type and size of the battery, the type of charger being used, and the current charge level of the battery. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several days for a battery to fully charge.

4. Can a battery charger overcharge a battery?

Yes, a battery charger can overcharge a battery if it is left connected for too long or if the charger does not have proper voltage and current regulation. Overcharging a battery can damage it and reduce its lifespan, so it is important to use a charger that is designed for the specific type of battery and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

5. Is it safe to leave a battery charging overnight?

While most modern battery chargers have safety features to prevent overcharging, it is generally not recommended to leave a battery charging overnight or for extended periods of time. It is important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the charger once the battery is fully charged to avoid any potential safety hazards.