How Does a Balloon React When a Man Climbs a Ladder Attached to It?

In summary: Now, when the man starts to climb, the balloon starts to move downward, and the center of mass of the system shifts downwards. This causes the equation for v(cm) to change, from being zero to being non-zero. So the textbook solution for vbg is to set v(cm) to be zero at the beginning, since that's when the center of mass is at its stationary position.
exparrot

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a 74 kg man is on a ladder hanging from a balloon that has a total mass of 260 kg (including the basket passenger). The balloon is initially stationary relative to the ground. The man on the ladder begins to climb at 2.5 m/s relative to the ladder.

(a) In what direction does the balloon move? My answer is downwards which is correct

(b) At what speed does the balloon move?

Homework Equations

vmg = vmb - vbg

(where the subscripts mg refer to man relative to ground, mb man relative to balloon (ladder), and bg balloon relative to ground)

vcom = [mmg - Mvbg]/M + m

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have the worked out solution to this problem but I'm finding it hard to grasp that
vcom = [mmg - Mvbg]/M + m = 0 (as per my textbook solutions). This is my understanding: the balloon is stationary relative to the ground, thus the vcom of the balloon-ground system would be 0. However, the man starts to move up the ladder causing the balloon to move downward, thus changing the vcom. How can, then, the textbook solution in solving for vbg set the aforementioned equation for vcom to 0? I mean, the vbgto be calculated is not when the balloon is stationary relative to the ground, obviously, it's changing relative to the ground (moving downwards) while the man is moving up the ladder. I would appreciate help in understanding this conceptually, especially if my thinking is wrong.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If xp, xb and xm are the distances of passenger, balloon and the center of mass from the ground, then
xm = (m*xp + M*xb)/(M + m)
If you take the derivative with respect to time to find their velocities, we get
v(xm) = (m*vp + M*vb)/(M + m). Since vp and vb are in the opposite direction the final expression becomes
vm = ...?

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
If xp, xb and xm are the distances of passenger, balloon and the center of mass from the ground, then
xm = (m*xp + M*xb)/(M + m)
If you take the derivative with respect to time to find their velocities, we get
v*xm = (m*vp + M*vb)/(M + m). Since vp and vb are in the opposite direction the final expression becomes
vm = ...?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why should I have to take the derivative if I already have an equation tailored to this situation? Maybe I'm not understanding something...

In the problem there are three center of masses.
1) Center of mass of man
2) Center of mass of balloon
3) Center of mass of ( man + balloon) system.
Since there is no external force acting on the system, center of mass of the system remains at rest. So v(cm) is zero.

Related to How Does a Balloon React When a Man Climbs a Ladder Attached to It?

1. What is the meaning behind "A man, a balloon, a plan"?

The phrase is a play on the famous palindrome "A man, a plan, a canal - Panama". It can also be interpreted as a metaphor for the individual, their goals, and the means to achieve them.

2. Is "A man, a balloon, a plan" a real scientific concept?

No, it is not a scientifically recognized concept. It is a literary phrase with multiple interpretations.

3. What does the balloon represent in "A man, a balloon, a plan"?

The balloon can symbolize a variety of things, including ambition, dreams, or creativity. It can also represent a tool or means to reach one's goals.

4. How is "A man, a balloon, a plan" relevant to science?

While the phrase itself is not a scientific concept, it could be used to spark discussions about the relationship between individuals, their ambitions, and the methods they use to achieve them. It could also be used to explore the intersection of science and literature.

5. What inspired "A man, a balloon, a plan"?

The phrase is believed to have originated from the palindrome "A man, a plan, a canal - Panama", which refers to the construction of the Panama Canal. It has been adapted and used in various forms in literature and popular culture.