How Do You Write a Superposition Wavefunction for an Electron in a 1D Box?

In summary: After you normalize the wavefunction, you can do the inner product with the states by multiplying each state by the normalized wavefunction. So, if the wavefunction has the form <a|b>*Ψ, then the inner product would be <a|b>*Ψ1*Ψ2*Ψ3.
coconutfreak
1. PROBLEM

Q: write down an expression for a superposition wavefunction [itex]\Psi[/itex](x) for an electron in a 1D box of length L consisting of the n = 1, 2, and 3 states. show that C12 + C22 + C32 = 1, and Cn represents the coefficients of the n state.

2. RELEVANT EQUATIONS

see word document. thanks.

3. MY ATTEMPT

Am I supposed to integrate or differentiate the equations at all?
I don't know how to even start this Q.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Attachments

• appendix.doc
    36 KB · Views: 212
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you know the equation for the nth state. A "superposition" simply means the wavefunction is in the form c1*Ψ1(x) + c2*Ψ2(x) + c3*3Ψ(x), where c1, c2, and c3 are complex numbers.

To start on the question, write out the wavefunction and take its inner product with itself. Remember that the eigenfunctions are orthogonal. What do you get?

i don't understand..
i am so sorry..

i know how to get Ψ1(x), Ψ2(x) and Ψ3(x) by simply substituting n = 1, 2, or 3 into the wavefunction equation.

what do you mean by inner product? dot product?

but i don't know how to continue from here.

thanks a lot for your help.

coconutfreak said:
i don't understand..
i know how to get Ψ1(x), Ψ2(x) and Ψ3(x) by simply substituting n = 1, 2, or 3 into the wavefunction equation.

Yup!

what do you mean by inner product? dot product?

but i don't know how to continue from here.

thanks a lot for your help.

Hmm, I don't know what you've already learned, so it's kind of hard to explain. Have you seen the notation <a|b> before? That's the inner product of two functions, and it's defined as the integral of the a*b (complex conjugate of a multiplied by b).

If you haven't seen it before, no worries. Just normalize the wavefunction in the way that you usually normalize wavefunctions. However, make sure to normalize the entire wavefunction, not just the individual states.

I would be happy to provide a response to this content. First, let's define what a superposition wavefunction is. A superposition wavefunction is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that is in a combination of multiple states. In this case, we are considering an electron in a 1D box with three possible states (n=1, 2, and 3). The wavefunction, denoted by Ψ(x), is a complex-valued function that describes the probability amplitude of the electron at a given position x in the box.

To answer the problem, we need to write down an expression for Ψ(x) that includes all three states. One way to do this is to use the linear combination of states, where the coefficients Cn represent the contribution of each state to the overall wavefunction. This can be written as:

Ψ(x) = C1Ψ1(x) + C2Ψ2(x) + C3Ψ3(x)

Where Ψn(x) is the wavefunction for the nth state, which can be determined using the relevant equations provided in the word document.

To show that the coefficients Cn satisfy the condition C12 + C22 + C32 = 1, we need to use the normalization condition. This means that the total probability of finding the electron in the box must be equal to 1. We can express this as:

∫Ψ(x)*Ψ(x) dx = 1

Where Ψ(x)* is the complex conjugate of Ψ(x). Substituting our expression for Ψ(x) into this equation, we get:

∫(C1Ψ1(x) + C2Ψ2(x) + C3Ψ3(x))*(C1Ψ1(x) + C2Ψ2(x) + C3Ψ3(x)) dx = 1

Expanding and simplifying, we get:

C12∫Ψ1(x)*Ψ1(x) dx + C22∫Ψ2(x)*Ψ2(x) dx + C32∫Ψ3(x)*Ψ3(x) dx + 2C1C2∫Ψ1(x)*Ψ2(x) dx + 2C1C3∫Ψ1(x)*Ψ3(x) dx + 2C2C3∫Ψ2(x

Related to How Do You Write a Superposition Wavefunction for an Electron in a 1D Box?

What is the concept of superposition wavefunctions?

The concept of superposition wavefunctions is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. It states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states at the same time, and the total wavefunction of the system is a combination of all these possible states. This allows for the existence of probabilistic outcomes in quantum systems, where the system can be in a mixture of different states simultaneously.

How is superposition wavefunctions different from classical wavefunctions?

Superposition wavefunctions are different from classical wavefunctions in that they allow for the existence of multiple states simultaneously, while classical wavefunctions only describe a single state. In classical physics, a particle can only be in one place at a time, whereas in quantum mechanics, it can exist in multiple places at once.

What is the role of superposition wavefunctions in quantum computing?

Superposition wavefunctions play a crucial role in quantum computing. By utilizing the superposition principle, quantum computers can perform multiple calculations simultaneously, allowing for much faster and more efficient processing compared to classical computers.

Can superposition wavefunctions be observed or measured?

No, superposition wavefunctions cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because, in the act of observation, the superposition collapses into a single state, and the system is no longer in a superposition. However, the effects of superposition can be observed through the outcomes of quantum experiments.

What are the implications of superposition wavefunctions for our understanding of reality?

The concept of superposition wavefunctions challenges our traditional understanding of reality, where things exist in definite, measurable states. It suggests that at the quantum level, reality is probabilistic and can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This has profound implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it.