How Do You Solve Trig Identities Using Basic Trigonometric Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation using only the quotient, Pythagorean, and reciprocal identities. The key to solving the equation is using the reciprocal identity, as cosθ is the reciprocal of secθ and vice versa. After applying the appropriate steps, the equation simplifies to (1 + cosθ) / (1 - cosθ). The conversation also touches on the difficulty of learning trigonometric identities and the importance of practice.
SirMarksAlot

Homework Statement

(1 + cosθ) / (1 - cosθ) = (1 + secθ) / (secθ - 1)

Homework Equations

using only the quotient identities, pythagorean identities, and reciprocal identities

The Attempt at a Solution

didnt know where to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
lol Mark44.

Key word is reciprocal identity, and this should be obvious since [itex]cos\theta[/itex] is the reciprocal of [itex]sec\theta[/itex] and vice versa.

kk got it.

RS
=(1 + secθ) / (secθ - 1)
=(1 + 1/cosθ) / (1/cosθ - 1)
=([cosθ+1] / cosθ) / ([1-cosθ] / cosθ)
=[(cosθ+1)(cosθ)] / [(1-cosθ)(cosθ)]
cancel cosθ
=(1 + cosθ) / (1 - cosθ)

oh wow, all these question are so easy now, thanks for the advice about the reciprocal.

No problem :smile:

I remember starting off with trig identities... I would have to say that was the hardest and most stressful topic to learn. If you don't have someone like your teacher to help you out with those, you can get lost in a question for hours! Well, at least that's what me and a few of my friends did.

It all comes to you eventually with much practice on this topic though. Good luck.

Related to How Do You Solve Trig Identities Using Basic Trigonometric Equations?

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are useful in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions.

2. Why do I need help with trig identities?

Trig identities can be complex and difficult to understand, so it is common for students to need help with them. It is important to have a solid understanding of trig identities in order to solve more advanced trigonometric problems.

3. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you must use algebraic manipulations and the properties of trigonometric functions to show that the two sides of the equation are equivalent. This usually involves simplifying both sides until they are in the same form.

4. What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, the double angle identities, and the half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

5. How can I remember all the trig identities?

There is no single method to remember all the trig identities, but practicing and using them frequently can help improve your memory. Some people find it helpful to create flashcards or write out the identities multiple times to aid in memorization.