How Do You Solve This Complex Quadratic Equation?

In summary, to solve the equation $\frac{x^2+2}{x}+\frac{8x}{x^2+2}=6$, you can simplify it to $x^4-6x^3+12x^2+12x+4=0$ and then use the substitution $ y = \frac{x^2+2}{x} $ to solve it for y. Once you have the solution for y, you can solve for x.
paulmdrdo1
please help me with this

$\frac{x^2+2}{x}+\frac{8x}{x^2+2}=6$

this is where I can get to when I simplify the the equation above,

$x^4-6x^3+12x^2+12x+4=0$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
please help me with this

$x^4-6x^3+12x^2+12x+4=0$

the above has become more complex
in case you put
$\frac{x^2+2}{x}= y$

then you get
$ y +\frac{8}{y} = 6$

you get quadratic in y then solve for y and based on it solve for x

I hope you can proceed because at no stage you get more than quadratic

paulmdrdo said:
please help me with this

$x^4-6x^3+12x^2+12x+4=0$

Let $ y = \frac{x^2+2}{x} $
Solve it for y
$y + \frac{8}{y} = 6 $
Then solve it for x

Related to How Do You Solve This Complex Quadratic Equation?

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second degree polynomial equation and can have two possible solutions.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

The most common method for solving a quadratic equation is by using the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula gives the values of x that satisfy the equation. Another method is by factoring the equation into two linear factors and solving for x.

3. What is the discriminant and how is it used to solve a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root, b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions of the equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, the equation has one real solution. And if it is negative, the equation has two complex solutions.

4. Can quadratic equations have non-integer solutions?

Yes, quadratic equations can have non-integer solutions, also known as irrational or fractional solutions. These solutions cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or decimal and often involve the square root of a non-perfect square number.

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model real-life situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the optimal dimensions of a structure, or calculate the maximum profit for a business. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.