How Do You Solve This Complex Logarithmic Equation?

• Thread starter Prototype44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
Neither of those are equal to 13 or 10sqrt(10)+ 3.In summary, the given equation can be rewritten as 2log(x-3)^2=log(x-3)+3. By using the laws of logarithms, it can be simplified to 4log(x-3)=3. Solving for log(x-3), we get log(x-3)=1. This means that x-3=10, so x=13. However, if we treat it as a quadratic equation, we get two additional solutions: x=3.1 and x=3+10^(3/2), which is approximately 34.6.
Prototype44

Homework Statement

2log(x-3)^2=log(x-3)+3

Homework Equations

x>3

The Attempt at a Solution

2log(x^2-6x+9)-log(x-3)=3
log(x-3)=3
Not sure where to go from here seeing that it factores and becomes x=3 which makes the solution undefined

Physics news on Phys.org
Prototype44 said:

Homework Statement

2log(x-3)^2=log(x-3)+3

Homework Equations

x>3

log(x-3)=3
You seem to have lost the coefficient of the first log term.
If what you had on the left was log(x2 - 6x + 9) - log(x - 3), then you could simplify this to log[(x2 - 6x + 9)/(x - 3)], but that's not what you have.

Instead of expanding the (x - 3)2 as you did, use the properties of logs to write 2log(x - 3)2 so that it is log(something).

On the right, 3 = log(103) = log(1000).
Prototype44 said:
Not sure where to go from here seeing that it factores and becomes x=3 which makes the solution undefined

I'm not sure what the equation exactly is.

First of all, what is the logarithm base? In the Precalculus books that I've seen (I'm in the US), no base means log base 10. However, I think I heard that in other places no base means natural logarithm.

Second, I'm not sure what is squared. Is it just (x-3) that is squared, or should it be like this?
2[log(x-3)]2=log(x-3)+3
(in other words, the entire expression log (x-3) is squared)

If you mean the former, then you lost the coefficient in front of the log(x-3)2 somewhere.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Prototype44 said:

Homework Statement

2log(x-3)^2=log(x-3)+3
Using "laws of logarithms", 2log(x-3)^2= 4 log(x- 3) and then
4 log(x- 3)- log(x-3)= 3 log(x-3)= 3 so that log(x-3)= 1.
If the logarthm is base 10 that says x- 3= 10. If it is base e, x- 3= e.

Homework Equations

x>3

log(x-3)=3

HallsofIvy said:
If the logarthm is base 10 that says x- 3= 10. If it is base e, x- 3= e.

That's what I got but it doesn't work. But, treating it as a quadratic, I got [itex]x=10\sqrt{10}+3[/itex], which does work, as well as 13 again. Why is this?

It would be helpful if you clarified for us exactly what the problem is. A couple of things are not clear to us:
1. Does "log" mean log10 or loge (same as ln). I assumed you meant log10.
2. Is the expression on the left side 2 log( (x - 3)2) or 2 (log(x-3))2? IOW, what is being squared?

Does "log" mean log10 or loge (same as ln). I assumed you meant log10

since a base is missing it is assumed to be base 10

Is the expression on the left side 2 log( (x - 3)^2) or 2 (log(x-3))^2? IOW, what is being squared

it is 2log((x-3))^2 i just transformed it in the question

I will solve this problem right now satisfying the specifications laid

2log(x-3)^2=log(x-3)+3
log(x-3)^4=log(x-3)+3
log(x-3)^3=3
3log(x-3)=3
log(x-3)=1
x-3=10
x=13

Prototype44 said:
since a base is missing it is assumed to be base 10
it is 2log((x-3))^2 i just transformed it in the question
That is exactly what you wrote originally. It does NOT answer Mark44's question and does not make sense: "[itex]f(x)^2[/itex]" is meaningless unless you interpret it as [itex](f(x))^2[/itex]. But in your original question, you wrote as log(x^2- 6x+ 9) which is [itex]ln((x-3)^2)[/itex] and could be more easily written as [itex]2ln(x-3)[/itex].

If you really meant [itex](ln(x-3))^2[/itex], then you have a quadratic equation: let y= ln(x- 3) and the equation becomes [itex]2y^2= y+ 3[/itex]. That is, of course, the same as [itex]2y^2- y- 3= (2y- 3)(y+ 1)= 0[/itex] which has roots y= ln(x- 3)= 3/2 and y= ln(x- 3)= -1. From the first, [itex]x-3 = 10^{3/2}[/itex] and [itex]x= 3+ 10^{3/2}[/itex] which is about
34.6. From the second, [itex]x- 3= 10^{-1}= 0.1[/itex] so that x= 3.1.

Related to How Do You Solve This Complex Logarithmic Equation?

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that is used to find the exponent or power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. It is the inverse operation of exponentiation.

2. How do you solve a challenging logarithm question?

To solve a challenging logarithm question, you need to understand the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You also need to know how to manipulate logarithmic equations and use the change of base formula. Practice and familiarity with different types of logarithmic problems are essential to solving them effectively.

3. What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in many fields, including science, engineering, finance, and economics. Some examples of their applications include measuring the magnitude of earthquakes, calculating the pH of a solution, and determining the intensity of sound waves.

4. How do logarithms relate to exponential growth and decay?

Logarithms and exponential growth and decay are closely related because they are inverse functions. When an exponential function is graphed, its inverse is a logarithmic function, and vice versa. Logarithms are used to model situations that involve exponential growth or decay, such as population growth and radioactive decay.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a challenging logarithm question?

If you are stuck on a challenging logarithm question, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Look for patterns and use the properties of logarithms to simplify the problem. It can also be helpful to look for similar examples or ask for assistance from a teacher or tutor.