How Do You Solve These Diffraction Problems?

• Thread starter mjsteves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary: I got a=10^(-4).In summary, the conversation discusses two diffraction problems. The first problem involves finding the value of a in a single-slit diffraction pattern, given Z and lambda. The second problem involves finding the diameter of a radar antenna that just covers the Moon with the central spot of its diffraction pattern. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and the use of proportions to solve the problems.
mjsteves
DIFFRACTION PROBLEMS -- please help

tough problems, any help or either one is greatly appreciated

(1)
Consider the single-slit diffraction pattern in figure V.2, which gives the location of the central maximum, and the zeros of the diffraction. If Z=1m and lambda=6*10^-7m, using the data in figure V.2, what is a?

Figure V.2 is a simple graph, basically the figure is a graph with x values of x and y values of I/I_0. The I/I_0 ranges from 0 to 1 in increments of 0.1. The x values range from -0.05 to 0.05 in increments of 0.01. At x=-0.02, I/I_0=0 and at x=0.02, I/I_0 also equals zero. In between -0.02<x<0.02 there is an upside down parabola with a maximum at x=0 or I/I_0=1.

The equations that are listed in the book are:

(a) I=I_0*(sin(alpha)/alpha)^2 where alpha=pi*(a/lambda)*sin(theta)

approximating for small angles:

(b) tan(theta)=sin(theta)

and (c) tan(theta)=x/Z

and,

(d) aplha=pi*(a/lambda)*(x/Z)

my attempt at a solution:

Basically I used the graph to say that I/I_0=0 when x=0.02. Then i used equation (a) and divided each side by I_0 to get I/I_0=(sin(alpha)/alpha)^2 => 0=(sin(alpha)/alpha)^2, so it seems as if the only way the statement could be true would be if alpha was zero. Using equation (d) for alpha=pi*(a/6*10^-7)*(0.02/1), alpha is zero when a=0. This was my answer, but I really think I did it wrong.

(2)
The Moon is about 4*10^8 m from the Earth and has a diameter of about 3.2*10^6 m. You want a radar antenna which just covers the Moon with the central spot of its diffraction pattern. If the radar wavelength is 10 cm, what is the diameter of the radar antenna?

There are no relevant equations that it gives for this problem other than the ones given above, but it says on one page that a function has zeros when alpha=0 or when alpha=n*pi which implies that n*pi=pi*(a/lambda)*(x_n/Z) or X_n=n*(lambda/a)*Z where n=+/- 1, 2, 3, etc.

my attempt at a solution:

First I tried using a proportion with the lengths/wavelength it gave me and then used that to solve for diameter but would be too easy. Then I tried to use the previous equations but then there would be missing variables unless I am supposed to assume the values from problem 1. I now that it should be single-slit. Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org

(1)

0=(sin(alpha)/alpha)^2, so it seems as if the only way the statement could be true would be if alpha was zero

There are other values of alpha which make the expression zero.
When is sin(alpha) = 0 ?

... when alpha=0 or when alpha=n*pi

Yes, that's right. Umm, well not the alpha=0 part. alpha=n*pi is correct.

(2)
Your book should (hopefully) have a discussion, and an equation, for diffraction by a circular aperture.

For a, I used Xn=n*lamba*Z/a , Xn being a zero. The first zero on my graph was .02, so I plugged in Xn=.02 and n=1.

Related to How Do You Solve These Diffraction Problems?

1. What is diffraction and how does it occur?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle that is comparable in size to its wavelength. The wave is forced to change direction and this results in the spreading of the wave.

2. What types of waves can experience diffraction?

All types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves, can experience diffraction. However, the amount of diffraction that occurs depends on the wavelength and the size of the obstacle or opening.

3. How is diffraction different from refraction and reflection?

Diffraction, refraction, and reflection are all ways in which waves can interact with obstacles and change direction. However, diffraction specifically refers to the bending or spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle, while refraction refers to the bending of waves as they pass through different mediums and reflection refers to the bouncing back of waves from a surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of diffraction?

Diffraction is commonly used in technologies such as microscopes, telescopes, and spectrophotometers to manipulate and analyze waves. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light and sound in natural phenomena, such as the colors of a rainbow and the sound of a musical instrument.

5. How can diffraction problems be solved?

Diffraction problems can be solved using mathematical equations and principles from physics, such as Huygens' principle and the wave equation. These equations can be used to calculate the diffraction patterns and intensities of waves passing through different obstacles or openings.