How Do You Solve the Ice Cube and Spring Problem on a Slope?

• Thread starter eliassiguenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the problem involves a 54 g ice cube sliding without friction on a 35 degree slope. It is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 12 cm. The spring constant is 27 N/m. The solution involves using equations F = -kx, F = ma, and PE = -1/2 kx^2 = 1/2 mv^2, as well as the concept of parallel and normal forces. However, using kinematic equations to determine the time and distance may not yield the correct answer, and instead, conservation of energy may be a more effective approach.
eliassiguenza
String Problem! Please Help!

Homework Statement

A 54 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 35 degree slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 12 cm. The spring constant is 27 N/m

Homework Equations

F = -kx
F = ma
soh cah toa

PE = -1/2 kx^2 = 1/2 mv ^2

x = Vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the following and I got it wrong .. any ideas?

F= k * x
PE = 1/2 k * x^2 = m*v^2
V^2 = P.E./(1/2 * m) = Square Root of that to get V.

mass * cos of angle = to find the force keeping the block of ice on the ground.
mass * sin of angle = to find the parallel force, which pulls on the ground ...

- Parallel Force/ mass = acceleration of the ice block.

using Kinematic equations I determined the time it'll take to do the whole thing... without the spring anymore just to go up and down where it started..

I divided that time because it obviously plots a parabola... and that's when it stops to come back.. that value of time i used in... V t + 1/2 at^2 to find distance ... but
i got it wrong .. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your problem statement did not specify what it is you want to calculate!

hi eliassiguenza! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
eliassiguenza said:
… I divided that time because it obviously plots a parabola... and that's when it stops to come back.. that value of time i used in... V t + 1/2 at^2 to find distance ...

if you're trying to find the maximum distance, why not just use conservation of energy? :smile:

Related to How Do You Solve the Ice Cube and Spring Problem on a Slope?

1. How do I approach solving a string problem?

The first step is to clearly understand the problem and what is being asked of you. Then, you can break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also use pseudocode to plan out your solution before writing any code.

2. What are some common string manipulation methods that can be used?

Some common methods for manipulating strings include concatenation, substring, length, and replace. There are also methods for converting strings to uppercase or lowercase, and for removing whitespace.

3. How do I handle cases where the string may be invalid or contain errors?

It is important to include error handling in your code to account for any unexpected inputs. This can be done using conditional statements and try/catch blocks to handle exceptions.

4. Can I use regular expressions to solve string problems?

Yes, regular expressions can be a powerful tool for solving string problems. They allow you to search, replace, and manipulate strings based on specific patterns or rules.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help with solving string problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available such as online string manipulation tools, coding forums, and tutorials. Additionally, programming languages often have built-in string manipulation functions and libraries that can be useful.