How Do You Solve Nested Absolute Value Equations?

• Thread starter HerroFish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary: So the equation becomes |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = 3 or |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = -3 .Now you can apply the theorem and solve the equation in a manner similar to what you attempted above.In summary, the equation | |x+1| +2 | - | x-2 | = 3 can be simplified to |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = 3 or |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = -3 . The theorem provided by the teacher, if |x| = a, where a ≥ 0, then x = a
HerroFish
Solve:

| |x+1| +2| - | x-2 | = 3

Relevant equations:

if |x| = a, then x = a; x = -a

My attempt:
|x+1| +2 - (x-2) = 3 ; |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = -3 (by theorem provided by teacher above)
|x+1| = x- 1 ; |x+1| = x-7

if |x+1| < 0:

-(x+1) = x -1
-x - 1 = x - 1
-2x = 0
x = 0
------------------------
-(x+1) = x-7
-x-1 = x-7
-2x = -6
x = 3If |x+1| => 0:

x+1 = x-1
1≠ -1
-------------------------
x+1 = x-7
1≠ -7
The answer is 1 and I'm not sure if the theorem my teacher provided applies...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you giving this any thought or just trying to copy what you have seen before?

x= -1 is clearly NOT the solution, it does not satisfy the equation:
|x+ 1|= 0 so ||x+1|+ 2|= |2|= 2 while |x- 2|= |-1- 2|= |-3|= 3. 2- 3 is NOT equal to 3.

I would start off doing this is a series of cases:

case 1) x> 2
Then x> -1 so |x+1|= x+ 1 and then |x+1|+ 2= x+ 1+ 2= x+ 3> 0 so ||x+1|+ 2|= x+ 3.

case 2) [itex]-1\le x\le 2[/itex]
|x+ 1| is still equal to x+ 1 so ||x+1|+ 2|= |x+ 3|= x+ 3 but now |x- 2|= 2- x. The equation becomes x+ 3- (2- x)= 2x+ 1= 3. 2x= 2, x= 1.
If x= 1, |x+ 1|= 2 so ||x+1|+ 2|.

case 3) x< -1.
|x+ 1|= -x- 1 so ||x+ 1|+ 2|= |-x-1+ 2|= |-x+ 1|. With x< -1, that is positive so ||x+ 1|+ 2|= -x+ 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Are you giving this any thought or just trying to copy what you have seen before?

x= -1 is clearly NOT the solution, it does not satisfy the equation:
|x+ 1|= 0 so ||x+1|+ 2|= |2|= 2 while |x- 2|= |-1- 2|= |-3|= 3. 2- 3 is NOT equal to 3.

I would start off doing this is a series of cases:

case 1) x> 2
Then x> -1 so |x+1|= x+ 1 and then |x+1|+ 2= x+ 1+ 2= x+ 3> 0 so ||x+1|+ 2|= x+ 3.

case 2) [itex]-1\le x\le 2[/itex]
|x+ 1| is still equal to x+ 1 so ||x+1|+ 2|= |x+ 3|= x+ 3 but now |x- 2|= 2- x. The equation becomes x+ 3- (2- x)= 2x+ 1= 3. 2x= 2, x= 1.
If x= 1, |x+ 1|= 2 so ||x+1|+ 2|.

case 3) x< -1.
|x+ 1|= -x- 1 so ||x+ 1|+ 2|= |-x-1+ 2|= |-x+ 1|. With x< -1, that is positive so ||x+ 1|+ 2|= -x+ 1.

Oh i meant to type 1, sorry for the typo :(

HerroFish said:
Solve:

| |x+1| +2| - | x-2 | = 3

Relevant equations:

if |x| = a, then x = a; x = -a

My attempt:
|x+1| +2 - (x-2) = 3 ; |x+1| + 2 - (x-2) = -3 (by theorem provided by teacher above)

The answer is 1 and I'm not sure if the theorem my teacher provided applies...
Supposing that the theorem provided by teacher is:
If |x| = a, where a ≥ 0, then x = a, or x = -a .​
That theorem cannot be directly applied to the equation
| |x+1| +2 | - | x-2 | = 3​
in the manner which you applied it.

Another way to state that theorem is:
If |x| = a, where a ≥ 0, then x = a, or -x = a .​
If you carefully consider the first term in your equation, the one with the absolute value inside the absolute value, you can simplify the equation a bit.

Is |x+1| + 2 ever negative? ... No !

Then | |x+1| +2 | = |x+1| +2 .

Related to How Do You Solve Nested Absolute Value Equations?

1. What is the meaning of "Absolute within an absolute"?

"Absolute within an absolute" refers to the concept of having a definite and unchangeable truth or value within a larger and more encompassing truth or value. It is often used in philosophical and scientific discussions to describe the relationship between different levels of reality.

2. How do scientists apply the concept of "Absolute within an absolute" in their research?

Scientists use the concept of "Absolute within an absolute" to understand the underlying principles and laws that govern the natural world. By identifying and studying absolute truths within a larger system, they can gain a deeper understanding of how the universe works and make more accurate predictions about future events.

3. Can you provide an example of "Absolute within an absolute" in scientific theories?

One example of "Absolute within an absolute" in scientific theories is the concept of gravity within the theory of relativity. In this theory, the absolute truth of gravity exists within the larger absolute truth of space-time, which is the fabric of the universe. This understanding has allowed scientists to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in space.

4. How does the concept of "Absolute within an absolute" relate to the concept of relativity?

The concept of "Absolute within an absolute" is closely related to the theory of relativity, which states that all motion and perception is relative to an observer's frame of reference. By understanding the absolute truths within a larger system, scientists can better understand how different perspectives and frames of reference can affect our understanding of reality.

5. Is the concept of "Absolute within an absolute" a universally accepted idea in science?

The concept of "Absolute within an absolute" is a debated topic in the scientific community. While many scientists see the value in understanding absolute truths within a larger system, others argue that all truths are relative and there is no such thing as an absolute truth. Ultimately, the acceptance of this concept depends on one's philosophical beliefs and approach to scientific inquiry.