How Do You Solve Friction Forces Involving a Cone?

• Thread starter mmmboh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct equation for the sum of forces in the y-direction and the need to take advantage of symmetry when solving for the static friction force. The final equation for N is determined to be N=mg/(2µcosØ-2sinØ), where µ is the coefficient of friction and Ø is the angle.
mmmboh
[PLAIN]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3941/fingernorm.jpg

Because the cone is being held up, I said mg=2fy, where f is the friction force, so mg=2uNcos(x) (where x=theta), and I got N=mg/(2ucos(x)).

The cone also isn't moving from side to side, so I said Nx=fx, so fsin(x)= uNsin(x)=Ncos(x), so u=cot(x), then I replace u in my first equation to get N=mg*tan(x)/(2cos(x))...
I have a feeling this is wrong though. Help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think in this case you are safer, and better off, by not rotating your coordinate axis and taking advantage of symmetry.

I didn't think I did rotate it. But besides that, what is wrong with my solution?

Is the correct equation 2Nsinx+mg=2uNcosx ? And so N=mg/(2ucosx-2sinx). And so the denominator can't be zero, so u is greater than tanx? This seems right.

Last edited:
Ah okay, I'm sorry, I guess I didn't follow everything you did to begin with.

The sum of all forces in y should be

2NµcosØ-2NsinØ-mg=0

In the x directions, we can see from symmetry that everything will cancel out. I can write this one out if you want too, but symmetry makes it trivial.

Yes, the static friction must be greater than tanØ. We know that if Ø=90º then it's impossible to hold the cone.

Edit: Corrected the signs.

Last edited:
That's not right... gravity and the normal force are in the negative vertical direction, the only positive vertical contribution is from friction.

Sum of forces in y should be:

2uNcosØ - 2NsinØ - mg = 0
N(2ucosØ-2sinØ)=mg

Yeah, that's right. For some reason my head was cloudy this morning.

N=mg/(2µcosØ-2sinØ)

Related to How Do You Solve Friction Forces Involving a Cone?

1. What is friction force and how does it affect objects?

Friction force is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic imperfections on the surfaces of the objects rubbing against each other. This force can slow down or stop the motion of an object.

2. What is the cone method for solving friction force?

The cone method is a technique used to solve for the friction force between two objects in contact. It involves drawing a free-body diagram of the objects and identifying all the forces acting on them. Then, a cone is drawn with the normal force and friction force as its sides. The angle of the cone can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction using the cone method?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the friction force by the normal force. In the cone method, the coefficient of friction can be determined by measuring the angle of the cone and using the formula tanθ = μ, where μ is the coefficient of friction.

4. What are some real-world applications of the cone method for solving friction force?

The cone method can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the friction between tires and a road to determine safe driving speeds, determining the force required to move objects on inclined surfaces, and designing brake systems for vehicles to ensure efficient stopping.

5. Are there any limitations to using the cone method for solving friction force?

While the cone method is a useful tool for solving friction force, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the surfaces of the objects are completely smooth and that the coefficient of friction remains constant. In reality, surfaces are not perfectly smooth, and the coefficient of friction can vary depending on factors such as temperature and surface conditions.