How Do You Solve for Theta in Goniometric Equations?

It's always good to double check and think critically about the information presented. Great job catching the error!
The Alchemist

Homework Statement

Given the following relation for θ:
[itex]\frac{I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}} = \frac{\sin^2{\theta}}{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}[/itex]
solve for θ

Homework Equations

[itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve this I get: [itex]\theta = \arcsin{\left(\pm\frac{2 I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}+I_{\pi}}\right)}[/itex]
But the paper where this equation is from says: Consequently θ becomes:
[itex] \theta = \arctan{\left(\pm\frac{2 I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}-I_{\pi}}\right)} [/itex]

Is there a way to come to the arctan expression? Or is the paper wrong? I'm quite stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Alchemist said:

Homework Statement

Given the following relation for θ:
[itex]\frac{I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}} = \frac{\sin^2{\theta}}{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}[/itex]
solve for θ

Homework Equations

[itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve this I get: [itex]\theta = \arcsin{\left(\pm\frac{2 I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}+I_{\pi}}\right)}[/itex]
But the paper where this equation is from says: Consequently θ becomes:
[itex] \theta = \arctan{\left(\pm\frac{2 I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma}-I_{\pi}}\right)} [/itex]

Is there a way to come to the arctan expression? Or is the paper wrong? I'm quite stuck.

Are you missing a square root sign on both your expressions?

Because I'm getting [itex]\theta = \arcsin{\left(\pm \sqrt{\frac{2I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} + I_{\pi}}}\right)} = \arctan{\left(\pm \sqrt{\frac{2I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} - I_{\pi}}}\right)}[/itex]

To get the arctan expression, find cos θ then divide sin θ by cos θ to get tan θ, then take the arctangent.

Curious3141 said:
Are you missing a square root sign on both your expressions?

Because I'm getting [itex]\theta = \arcsin{\left(\pm \sqrt{\frac{2I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} + I_{\pi}}}\right)} = \arctan{\left(\pm \sqrt{\frac{2I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} - I_{\pi}}}\right)}[/itex]

To get the arctan expression, find cos θ then divide sin θ by cos θ to get tan θ, then take the arctangent.

You're right I missed the square root in the arcsin, the arctan though doesn't have one!

When I solve for cosine θ [itex]\theta = \arccos{ \left( \pm \sqrt{ \frac{I_{\sigma} - I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} + I_{\pi}}}\right)}[/itex]
How can I then come to an arctan expression?

The Alchemist said:
You're right I missed the square root in the arcsin, the arctan though doesn't have one!

When I solve for cosine θ [itex]\theta = \arccos{\left(\pm \sqrt{\frac{I_{\sigma} - I_{\pi}}{I_{\sigma} + I_{\pi}}\right)}[/itex]
How can I then come to an arctan expression?

Just divide the sine by the cosine. The denominators cancel out.

There should be a sqrt on the arctan expression as well.

Oh, I was too dazzled! thanks for the help.
So the equation in the paper misses the sqrt...

The Alchemist said:
Oh, I was too dazzled! thanks for the help.
So the equation in the paper misses the sqrt...

Mistakes in print are nothing new.

Related to How Do You Solve for Theta in Goniometric Equations?

1. What is a goniometric relationship?

A goniometric relationship is a mathematical relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. It is also known as trigonometric relationship and is used to solve problems involving triangles in mathematics and physics.

2. What are the main trigonometric functions?

The main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. The other three trigonometric functions are cosecant, secant, and cotangent, which are the reciprocals of sine, cosine, and tangent respectively.

3. How are goniometric relationships used in real life?

Goniometric relationships are used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, astronomy, and navigation. They are used to calculate distances, heights, angles, and other important measurements in real-life situations. For example, they are used to determine the height of a building or to navigate a ship at sea.

4. What is the unit of measurement for goniometric relationships?

The unit of measurement for goniometric relationships is radians. Radians are a unit of angular measurement that represents the ratio between the length of an arc and the radius of a circle. They are considered a more natural unit for measuring angles than degrees, especially in trigonometry.

5. How do you solve goniometric relationships?

To solve goniometric relationships, you can use trigonometric identities and formulas, as well as the values of trigonometric functions for common angles. You can also use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the values of trigonometric functions for any given angle. Additionally, you can use the laws of sines and cosines to solve more complex goniometric relationships involving non-right triangles.