How Do You Solve for t in the Equation 2h = vt + gt^2?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the equation 2h = vt + gt^2 for "t" in a quadratic equation. The individual had already completed the Physics part and was now seeking help with solving for "t" using the quadratic formula. The other person pointed out that it was a simple variable problem and provided a link to the Wikipedia page for quadratic equations. The individual then realized their mistake and thanked the other person.
dominus96
I've already done the Physics part, but now I am stuck with the equation 2h = vt + gt^2

It's just a variable problem, so no numbers are involved, just variables. Now I just need help solving for t.

Physics news on Phys.org
dominus96 said:
I've already done the Physics part, but now I am stuck with the equation 2h = vt + gt^2

It's just a variable problem, so no numbers are involved, just variables. Now I just need help solving for t.

You have a quadratic equation, so you'll have to solve for "t" using the quadratic formula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation

Does this help?

Wow I'm an idiot...that was really obvious. Thanks, lol.

Related to How Do You Solve for t in the Equation 2h = vt + gt^2?

1. How do I solve a basic math equation?

To solve a basic math equation, follow the order of operations (PEMDAS): Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (left to right), Addition and Subtraction (left to right). Start by simplifying any parentheses, then solve any exponents, and then work your way through the remaining operations.

2. What is the order of operations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (left to right), Addition and Subtraction (left to right). This is the order in which operations should be performed when solving a math equation.

3. How do I know when to add or subtract in a math equation?

In a math equation, addition and subtraction should be performed based on their position in the equation. Start from left to right and perform any addition or subtraction operations in that order.

4. Why is it important to follow the order of operations?

Following the order of operations ensures that the math equation is solved correctly and consistently. If the order of operations is not followed, the answer may be incorrect.

5. Can I solve a math equation in any order?

No, math equations must be solved in a specific order to ensure the correct answer. Not following the order of operations may result in an incorrect answer.