How Do You Solve for Normal Force in Different Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the normal force in various scenarios, such as an out-of-gas car rolling over a hill and a car doing a vertical loop-the-loop or driving around a curved track. It is concluded that in order to determine the normal force, one must first determine the resulting motion of the object and then set the normal force equal to whatever force is required to make that motion occur. This approach may feel foreign to some, who are used to solving for all forces and then determining the resulting motion. The conversation also mentions the different types of normal forces that can exist, such as between the wheel and the road, between the air and the car, and between the axle and the car body.
Impulse

Homework Statement

The problem motivating this post is: "An out-of-gas car is rolling over the top of a hill at speed v. At this instant,
a. n > FG
b. n < FG
c. n = FG
d. We can't tell about n without knowing v." (Associated figure attached.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Newton's second law

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'd like to understand is in what framework to think about the normal force.

I currently understand the normal force to be equal and opposite to the perpendicular force exerted by an object on the surface with which it is in contact. I still believe this to be correct.

I'm wrestling with how to solve for the normal force. Originally, I assumed it was always equal and opposite to the perpendicular component of the force of gravity, such as is the case in a standard incline plane problem. To solve for the normal force, I would first solve for the perpendicular component of the force of gravity, then flip the sign. However, the motivating problem I posted above, as well as examining a car doing a vertical loop-the-loop and driving around a curve on a banked track, has shown that this framework for solving for the normal force can be faulty.

It now appears that, to solve for the normal force acting on an object, I should first determine the resulting motion of the object known to be true in a given scenario and then set the normal force equal to whatever force is required to make that motion result. So, in the motivating problem above, because I know the car will roll down the other side of the hill, the downward force of gravity must exceed the upward normal force, and the answer must be "b".

Is this line of thinking how you understand to solve for the normal force?

The paradigm of "first determine how you know the system to act, then set a force equal to whatever is required to make the system act in that way" feels foreign to me. I'm used to "first solve for all the forces, then determine how the system will act as a result of those forces."

Attachments

• Car Rolling Over Hill.jpg
    Car Rolling Over Hill.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 826
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the direction of the car's velocity vector constant as the car goes over the hill, or is it changing? What does this tell you about the car's acceleration? What does that tell you about the net force acting on the car?

Chet

What normal force did you have in mind?

There is the normal force between the wheel and the road;
the normal force between the air and the car;
the normal force between the axle and the car body,
etc.

@Old: come on, a clear picture is provided !

@IMP: Chet's chat makes good sense to me !

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems and concepts with an open mind and a willingness to adapt to new information and perspectives. In the case of the normal force, it is important to understand that it is not always equal and opposite to the perpendicular component of the force of gravity, as you have discovered with the examples you provided.

Your understanding of the normal force as being equal and opposite to the perpendicular force exerted by an object on the surface it is in contact with is correct. However, as you have observed, this may not always be a helpful framework for solving for the normal force.

In some cases, it may be more useful to approach the problem by first determining the motion of the object and then setting the normal force equal to whatever force is required to make that motion occur. This may involve considering other forces acting on the object, such as friction or centripetal force, in addition to the force of gravity.

Ultimately, the key is to approach each problem by carefully considering all the forces acting on the object and using the appropriate framework or approach to solve for the normal force. This may involve using Newton's second law or other relevant equations.

In summary, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concept of the normal force, but also to be flexible in your approach to solving problems involving it. As a scientist, it is important to constantly evaluate and adapt your understanding and problem-solving strategies based on new information and perspectives.

Related to How Do You Solve for Normal Force in Different Dynamics?

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is a type of contact force that acts perpendicularly to the surface of an object. It is also known as the support force, as it is responsible for supporting an object against gravity.

2. How is normal force calculated?

Normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the formula FN = mg, where FN is normal force, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between normal force and weight?

Normal force and weight are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This means that the normal force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the object pushing down on the surface.

4. How does the angle of a surface affect normal force?

The angle of a surface does not affect the magnitude of normal force, but it does affect the direction. If the surface is angled, the normal force will act at an angle perpendicular to that surface.

5. Can normal force be greater than weight?

No, normal force cannot be greater than weight. In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the normal force must be equal and opposite to the weight of the object. If the normal force were greater than the weight, the object would accelerate upwards.